Wood stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

Hello, I had a couple of questions about wood stabilization that I hope you all can help me with. How many blanks should I be able to stabilize with a quart of stabilizer? Is stabilizer something that I could mix up myself at a lower cost? Also, I don't fully understand how sanding sealer works? Does it do the same thing? Thanks in advance for your help.
Fred Ritter

G

Just so you don't feel ignored,I suppose the the answer to your question is there is no answer.
Most blanks come prestabilized unless you are going to use something like spalted wood or corncob etc.
As far as how many you'll get from a quart, there are a lot of posts on the topic.
Right now I am experimenting with plexiglass dissloved in acetone and stabilizing in a vacuum.

I've gotten enough information through searches to get started.Trial and error.
Some are soaking blanks in polyurethane.
I bought some wood hardner at Lowes made by Bondo.It's meat to be applied to rotten exterior wood ( brused on) but that's what I use on the corn cobs.
Keep it covered while they are soaking,it's actetone based or something like that.
16 oz will do a lot of blanks.
You can also stabilize with thin CA glue if you think a piece will give you a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom