Wood Identification ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mnerland

Just wondering if anyone might be able to ID this wood. I received it from a retired Marine almost 20 years ago. I believe he said he got it from Panama.
He didn't know what it was at the time. It is the hardest and heaviest wood I have ever had in my hands. Gonna be a challenge to just cut it. Has some very nice grain to it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20220605_113928_resized.jpg
    20220605_113928_resized.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 20220605_114004_resized.jpg
    20220605_114004_resized.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 138
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

That's a tough one. There are a few dark brown hard and heavy woods from Central America.

From the first photo it looks like it could almost be Cocobolo (69 lbs. per cubic foot - Janka 2960).
From the second photo it looks like Katalox to me (72 lbs. per cubic foot - Janka 3,660 ).
The other one that I have seen is called Cocuswood (72 lbs. per cubic foot - janka 3,720)

Considering the almost purplish color on the end grain photo I think it is likely Katalox.

Regards,
Dave

leehljp

Member Liaison
The different slight color differences between grains suggests Brazilian Rosewood or other Rosewood. Regardless, that is a VERY valuable piece of wood because of its size.

At first, I thought of SE Asian persimmon:

Attachments

• Japanese persimmon.JPG
    Japanese persimmon.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 66

mnerland

The different slight color differences between grains suggests Brazilian Rosewood or other Rosewood. Regardless, that is a VERY valuable piece of wood because of its size.

At first, I thought of SE Asian persimmon:
Wow, that looks very close to what I have. The idea that it came from Panama just might be a mistake. Thanks for the reply.

mnerland

That's a tough one. There are a few dark brown hard and heavy woods from Central America.

From the first photo it looks like it could almost be Cocobolo (69 lbs. per cubic foot - Janka 2960).
From the second photo it looks like Katalox to me (72 lbs. per cubic foot - Janka 3,660 ).
The other one that I have seen is called Cocuswood (72 lbs. per cubic foot - janka 3,720)

Considering the almost purplish color on the end grain photo I think it is likely Katalox.

Regards,
Dave
Thanks Dave, I will look these up and possibly find a match. Thanks so much.

Top Bottom