Wood ID

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmiller

Hi friends, can anyone tell me what this wood is? Found it at a garage sale. Large piece has some kind of finish on it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Wood-ID.jpeg
    Wood-ID.jpeg
    854.6 KB · Views: 136
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

My friend, it is worthless. You got took. However, being the generous sort that I am I would be delighted to take it off your hands and pay you a fair price. Seriously, you hit the mother lode. That looks like a prime piece of Amboyna burl. Well done.

cmiller

My friend, it is worthless. You got took. However, being the generous sort that I am I would be delighted to take it off your hands and pay you a fair price. Seriously, you hit the mother lode. That looks like a prime piece of Amboyna burl. Well done.
😆 Thanks, John and all. I thought this was amboyna burl but wanted to check. It gets better: this garage sale was put on by a guy whose dad was part pen turner, part hoarder. He had a building full of wood and pen supplies. I got this amboyna (and more), thuya burl, holly, indian rosewood, tulipwood, aussie myrtle, pink ivory, bw ebony, palm, marblewood. I even grabbed a couple of those plasticy blanks, what are they called, acrylic? And I don't even turn those. Really an unbelievable sale, I went Friday, today, and probably going back tomorrow. Yes, I will sell some if people want, especially the amboyna and thuya since there's a lot of it. Let me know what you want and I'll get some pics together.

sorcerertd

😆 Thanks, John and all. I thought this was amboyna burl but wanted to check. It gets better: this garage sale was put on by a guy whose dad was part pen turner, part hoarder. He had a building full of wood and pen supplies. I got this amboyna (and more), thuya burl, holly, indian rosewood, tulipwood, aussie myrtle, pink ivory, bw ebony, palm, marblewood. I even grabbed a couple of those plasticy blanks, what are they called, acrylic? And I don't even turn those. Really an unbelievable sale, I went Friday, today, and probably going back tomorrow. Yes, I will sell some if people want, especially the amboyna and thuya since there's a lot of it. Let me know what you want and I'll get some pics together.
Even more? Mother lode indeed!

penicillin

Yeah, I have some nice exotic woods at home that I bought from deceased and retired woodworkers.

(Our club often helps the families value their loved one's tools and supplies to avoid being taken by unscrupulous people. Sometimes the club helps families setup and publicize a sale to sell their tools and stuff.)

Some of the exotic wood that I have on hand is so rare and priceless that I am afraid to turn it and ruin it. It may finally go to some eager woodworker after I am gone. :-(

Vermontpens73

Hi Colin - I am interested in what you would interested in selling of the amboyna and Thuya burl. If you want to send me pics and prices that would be great. Thanks

Jeb

wimkluck

You have a nice burl. The contrast of the sapwood makes it pop for penblanks. I was lucky to buy a few small pieces and want to combine it with epoxy. I need to because the are small.

Top Bottom