wipe-on poly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wicook

For those of you who use Minwax (or another brand) of wipe-on poly, do you apply it with the lathe spinning and "burn" it in or do you apply it to stationary blanks? I suspect that it doesn't work well when applied to a spinning blank, but am tempted to give it a try... ;)

Thanks for your assistance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I have applied it spinning and not spinning and gotten good results with both. I do not burn it in though, it seemed like a bad idea with the long dry time of oil based poly.

vick

I have only used it a couple time due to how long this finish takes but here is what I found.
I find it best to wait 24 hours betwean coats.
after the last coat wait at least a week before buffing of polishing.
I use a homemade mixture and found I need at least 5 coats.

In general I have prefer using deft, if I want the oiled look I will oil it let it dry, seal it and use deft for the top coat. You still have to wait about a week to buff or polish but you only have to wait about an hour bewean coats.

I use Minwax and the average time between coats is 45 minutes to 1 hour. I do have a 60 watt light close to the lathe, that may have some to do w/ drying time. There are some variances but if speed is of the essence there was a jig shown a few weeks ago using threaded rod & spacers to have several drying at one time. I have also slowed down on trying to get a finished product & it seems my finish is improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom