Winterbottom Bone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Okay, that's obviously not a pen but a pocket knife. I love the handles on it. Problem, the company that made and sold these scales, Winterbottom Bone, sold the jigged and torched scales to Queen Cutlery for their knives. Queen fitted them to the knife. Both Winterbottom and Queen are out of business. I would like to make a pen with it. I thought of making the blank from cow bone. I'd have to add the color with a butane torch after drilling and jigging but before gluing in the tube as the heat would ruin the epoxy bond. I'd use a Dremel tool with a diamond point tip for the jigging. I wonder where I can find a cow femur bone to try this. Any suggestions as to where to get bone and how to do it would be appropriated. Thanks

Attachments

• 47914B8F-1F46-46AF-8F95-B35A993F98AC.jpeg
    47914B8F-1F46-46AF-8F95-B35A993F98AC.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 103
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Some pet food stores sell cow bone and antler too as dog chews. You would probably still need to process (bleach) it too. Butchers would be another source for bones.

BULLWINKLE

Thanks Curly. Both good suggestions. I won't turn the center round as it will remove the jigging and torch color. I will turn the ends down to match the bushings.
Thanks again

MRDucks2

You can like get one from a local butcher or small meat processing facility. Depending on the customer, there will typically be plenty of bone left over from a half beef that had a lot of ground meat processed from it.

Top Bottom