Windows 11?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The computer I bought in the winter of last year has the capabilities of upgrading Windows 10 to windows 11. At the time Windows 11 was just introduced and having issues from what I heard. The tech I bought the computer from in the store told me to wait to install it to see what happens. I now see Windows 12 is going to be launched soon. So my question is updating to Windows 11 a good idea? Is there much difference between 10 and 11? I just about got things figured out with 10 and there still is alot I have not even played with yet. What say you??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Main advantage I find is that 11 loads much faster than 10 on my comparatively slow speed internet . Everything is centred on the page . Other than the speed , I would have been happy with no change . Perhaps that is what getting to our age does to us .

Mortalis

I've been upgrading my computer (5 years since last upgraded) in preparation for when Windows 10 is no longer supported (2025). I was always on top of all this tech stuff when I was younger (I held off windows 10 because of the issues IT had at the time). I follow all the updates and haven't seen anything that would entice me to upgrade to Win 11.
Your info is the first that I've heard about Win 12 but if Win 12 is less than a year or two away then I'll wait. Typically there is 4 - 5 years in between Microsoft's 'successful' version upgrades and less than that just makes feel like they know that Win 11 isn't what they expected it to be (Windows Vista/Me anyone).

If it aint broke, dont fix it! That is my motto when it comes to version upgrades with Microsoft.
Just my 2cents worth!

If you are a tinfoil hat kinda guy, all the youtube tinfoil hatters are finding ways to install Win 11 without the "requisite" MIcrosoft account information due to all the Microsoft "spyware"/adware that Win 11 contains.

Last edited:

monophoto

Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be the last major release of Windows. Instead of major releases, they would release periodic updates to individual modules within Windows 10.

And then few years later they announced Windows 11. Huh?

When I bought my new computer last Fall, the nerd who sold it (that major electronics big box store employs geeks whose technical knowledge seems to be limited to the supplemental warranty that the store wants to add to every purchase; I prefer to do business with the nerds at the computer counter in the stationary store across the street) advised against going directly to Windows 11. He said that Windows 10 was stable, and it might take several years for Windows 11 to achieve that status. As it turns out, the Windows 10 installation in my new computer has a couple of flaws that Microsoft doesn't know how to fix - so why would I want to upgrade to an entirely new operating system for which the only known advantage is that windows depicted on the display have rounded rather than square corners?

jrista

I've seen no compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 11. One of the big things with Win11 is that Microsoft is REALLY starting to leverage the TPM ("Trusted" Platform Module) that have been getting integrated into computers for years now. It was, oh, probably over a decade ago now that Microsoft first started talking about what they can do with a TPM. There was a rather lengthy video at the time that marked the beginning of my decline in trusting Microsoft. (I'd been a Microsoft platform software engineer for over 15 years at that point.) I've been looking for the video, but it seems finding something that old will take time. Top Microsoft enginners and execs were talking about how the user has to be assumed to be untrustworthy, and must be protected against. They were discussing how they could use a TPM to facilitate protecting the world from "users"... I supposed at the time this was because there were the very occasional and rare malicious actors here and there, but to protect against them, Microsoft decided that ALL users must be treated as hostile.

In any case, Windows 11 is now fully integrated with the modern TPMs. Microsoft openly touts their user-facing benefits publicly, such as how a TPM can potentially help thwart ransomware attacks. They have stopped talking about how they can use it to thwart what Microsoft deems unacceptable user behavior, however...and that, that is the real problem with TPMs. Who was it, Benjamine Franklin (?), who stated that whoever was willing to give up freedom (or liberty) for a little bit of temporary safety, deserved neither freedom/liberty nor safety? Beware of Microsoft...

Well, some decade on, look at how Microsoft treats its users. With hostility, as untrustworthy! Here is a recent article on Microsoft taking their lack of interest in supporting or trusting their users to the next level with just one small aspect of Windows 11:

How long ago was it that Microsoft was facing an anti-trust suit for EXACTLY this very thing??? Right back at it...treating users with hostility. (I think, although I can't find it now, that Microsoft ultimately ended up reversing this anti-competitive change earlier this year...however, they did so very quietly, secretively, and did not announce the change when that build was officially rolled out. People only discovered it was simplified after the fact. However, they continue to use Edge as the browser whenever you use the built in Windows search feature, or any other feature that launches a browser...Microsoft still refuses to use the users browser of choice for ALL web browsing.) FWIW, I'm no Apple fan either. Apple has their own issues, their own little acts of user hostility here and there. They are just better at glossing over it all and putting a pretty, highly appealing brushed metal and gloss finish over it all. :p I would be a hard-core Linux user, if I could actually get and use the software I really need on that platform... Anyway, I digress.

I've been watching Microsoft treat their users worse and worse for over a decade now. I've decided I'll be sticking with Windows 10 for the foreseeable future. Here is the deal. Just because Microsoft "officially" stops "supporting" Windows 10 in 2025, does not mean they will officially brick your computer at the same moment. Windows 10 will continue to function, you will be able to use it as you always have. It just won't receive all those annoying, forced updates that cause constant rebooting all the time. So long as you remain vigilant yourselves (something we have always been able to do, without Microsoft forcing their version of vigilance on us!), you can keep your system virus and malware free, and operating in prime condition.

Don't install lots of utilities or other junk. In fact, be very careful about downloading anything off the internet, don't download most things if you can avoid it, and IF you MUST download something, such as a driver...just make certain you are getting them direct from the manufacturer. NEVER use third-party driver sites (these places are sketchy to start, but many are just "friendly looking" fronts for extremely malicious actors redistributing infected drivers and other core system software so they can install trojans, viruses and other malware...usually stuff that operates silently behind the scenes, but opens up little access gateways into your system so that said malicious actors can hack in easily without being detected!!!)

Be VERY selective in what virus and malware scanning tools you use (Norton, McAffee, for example...they are SO intrusive, and consume SO many resources, I consider them to be malware themselves!! In fact, I consider both to be some of the most egregious malware on the planet, given how and how broadly they have managed to infiltrate so many computers!) Do your research, find the lowest profile anti-virus/anti-malware program you can find that has the highest success rate.

Living with Windows 10 for years beyond the unsupported date should be fine. I used Windows 7 for years after its EOL date. I was running Windows 8.1 on this computer for years before I finally moved to Windows 10 (I don't think I moved to Win10 until late 2019!!!) There should be no rush to prepare for upgrading, just because Microsoft tells you its time. Microsoft has demonstrated hostility towards its users for a very long time now. Their word is not the most trustworthy, and there is no reason you should think your Windows 10 computer will suddenly become unusable the moment Microsoft ends support for it. Even long after long term EOL, you should still be able to use old versions of windows (heck, I think I have some old friends who still use Windows 7!)

Last edited:

jrista

So Jon - I take it you have a few issues with Microsoft?
Yeah, just a few. ;P But, I've got just a few with Apple, and Google, and...well, pretty much all big tech companies. :p They are kind of a nasty bunch. I'm in technology though, I use their low level services, libraries, etc. in my own work day to day, and I may see more of their malicious underbelly than most....

sorcerertd

I did the upgrade on both the laptop and desktop a while back. The only thing I had a problem with is that sometimes the internet doesn't want to work on the desktop when it's been sleeping/hibernating for a while (I rarely shut my desktop down). Updating drivers didn't help with that. Rebooting will fix it easily, unless you want to do other more technical things which I won't get into now. That hasn't been an issue lately (knock on wood), so either one of the automatic windows updates or driver updates must have addressed that. I believe they are pretty much optimizing Windows for touch screens, which my laptop is, though I can't say I like it any better there than on the desktop.

I've gotten away from gaming and power user stuff, so I don't care much about how it affects anything beyond internet, photo editing, and office programs. The main difference I see as a normal user is that the start menu is rearranged and takes some getting used to. I'd really like to see more customization options there. The only compelling reason I can see to upgrade is that you want to get the upgrade while it's free and before Microsoft decides to stop supporting Windows 10 (which should be a while still). I've done beta testing of Windows versions in the past, but have no desire to do so these days. I'll just wait until the bugs get worked out. Hopefully the 3 year release schedule won't bring with it the cycle of every other version being a disaster. Most of the features they keep adding (weatherbar?) I use my phone for so I couldn't care less about them.

Speaking of phones, what did you end up getting John?

jttheclockman

I did the upgrade on both the laptop and desktop a while back. The only thing I had a problem with is that sometimes the internet doesn't want to work on the desktop when it's been sleeping/hibernating for a while (I rarely shut my desktop down). Updating drivers didn't help with that. Rebooting will fix it easily, unless you want to do other more technical things which I won't get into now. That hasn't been an issue lately (knock on wood), so either one of the automatic windows updates or driver updates must have addressed that. I believe they are pretty much optimizing Windows for touch screens, which my laptop is, though I can't say I like it any better there than on the desktop.

I've gotten away from gaming and power user stuff, so I don't care much about how it affects anything beyond internet, photo editing, and office programs. The main difference I see as a normal user is that the start menu is rearranged and takes some getting used to. I'd really like to see more customization options there. The only compelling reason I can see to upgrade is that you want to get the upgrade while it's free and before Microsoft decides to stop supporting Windows 10 (which should be a while still). I've done beta testing of Windows versions in the past, but have no desire to do so these days. I'll just wait until the bugs get worked out. Hopefully the 3 year release schedule won't bring with it the cycle of every other version being a disaster. Most of the features they keep adding (weatherbar?) I use my phone for so I couldn't care less about them.

Still thinking it over. Was looking at some phones and the photo quality is not all the same. also I see some phones for some reason do not have the ability for lack of better wording, stabilization and if you walk and record the picture is shaky. Need to look more into that.

MelaniePayne

From my personal experience, I didn't encounter any major issues when I upgraded to Windows 11, but of course, there could be unforeseen problems that could arise. As for the differences, I'd say there are some noticeable changes in the interface, and it seems to run a bit smoother, but overall, it's not too different from Windows 10. If you're comfortable with Windows 10 and don't feel like you're missing out on anything, then there's really no need to rush into upgrading. However, if you're curious and want to try out Windows 11, I'd suggest doing a bit more research to see if it's worth it for you. By the way, I recently got a cheap Windows 10 key online to activate my copy of Windows, and it worked like a charm. It was a great way to save some money while still getting a legitimate key.

sbwertz

Not looking forward to any upgrade... I'm just beginning to get familiar with W10..... I still miss XP...
XP was a hard act to follow. Win 7 was also solid, but let's not mention 8 and 8.1! Ten has settled in to a good solid OS now, too. I'm not upgrading yet. I'm happy to stay with it as long as possible. MS seems incapable of putting out two good OS's in a row! Every other one has been a disaster for years. XP was solid. Vista was awful. 7 was solid, 8 and 8.1 were terrible. Ten was solid, and I'm holding my breath for 11.

Last edited:

jrista

Interesting that this question should pop up. I just went through a hellish computer ordeal. Old computer (9 years old, custom built by me, ultra high end, so it was extremely fast when it was built, still fast today generally speaking) just ran out of life, I guess. Started having problems, couldn't update windows, had a lot of issues rolling back after failed windows updates to new versions. Finally managed to get a new drive to take a completely new, clean install...and the system started freezing constantly.

Gave up on it yesterday, built an entirely new computer. Went with Intel, the 13900K, which has this new kind of core, an E-core or efficiency core. Turns out, only Windows 11 knows how to utilize those cores properly and schedule work on them correctly. So, I wasn't able to use my freshly installed Windows 10...ended up having to install Win11 fresh. Two complete from-scratch windows installs in less than a week. Yuck. Two weeks now...and my trip into computer hell finally seems to be over.

I haven't had much time with Win11 yet. So far, though, it is much smoother, faster, and generally speaking looks nicer, than Win10. I do a lot of heavy graphics processing, as well as gaming. Compared to the Windows 10 system, installed on the same SSD drive (which is around 600mb/s throughput rate), the Win11 system boots faster, runs faster, feels smoother... I guess we'll see how it is over the next week here. Still working my way through the UI differences. Will have to see how it pans out usability wise in the end, but so far, I am liking the fact that it is a more consistent UI/UX experience than Win10, which had a lot of inconsistent UI/UX throughout. There were at least 3 or 4 types of context menus in Win10. Looks like they are all the same in Win11. Hoping that consistency persists throughout, and that the new Windows has a better UI experience overall. Windows 7 was that way...had a good, consistent UI experience. Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10...none of them did.

Well, guess its a journey now...exploring Windows 11.

jttheclockman

Being I was the one who started this thread back in July of last year when I got my new computer, I decided to leave Windows 10 on it. The option to load windows 11 is always there but from all I read I will leave it alone. It is faster than what I had and I have gotten use to it. I too liked XP until it became obsolete and they made me upgrade. I like my new computer. A huge upgrade from the old tower style desk top. This is a HP all in one. Very fast load.

Top Bottom