Will CA glue stick to synthetic material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Question

Not sure how to ask this.

If i put a drop of water on a piece of cotton thread it will soak up into the fibers. In playing around it looks like the CA glue does sort of the same thing on cotton as well.

If i try it with say some nylon thread, will the glue wick into the nylon itself or just harden around the outside of the thread.

I know there are certain materials that ca wont stick to, but i forget what they are.

thanks....pete

oh oh another hint as to what my next project it....:D

hint 1 chicken plucker
hint 2 carousel
hint 3 thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tangboy5000

Nylon is a pretty tight chain polymer. The CA will most likely bond to it chemically, but won't wick in like with cotton. If it is strictly Nylon with no water repellent on it, it should bond fairly well.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by pete00
<br />outside of the thread.
I know there are certain materials that ca wont stick to, but i forget what they are.

CA will not stick to UHMW polyethylene (ultra high molecular weight). Very good material for making bushings. Hope this helps.
re-Peter-[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Ca will"encapsulate" some synthetics.as far as wicking like cotton.not all the time,sometimes you just have to try it and see.
Don't bother with polypropelene.(DAMHIKT)
As far as othe syntetics go, if hey are a blend of diffrent kinds the lesser percentage of the blends may have a positive effect on what you are trying to do with it,
(again DAMHIKT)

terrymiller

If you are going to try any type of thread you have to make sure that you get the non silicon coated thread. A lot of the threads made for sewing are coated so they have less friction when being sewn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom