Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I hve found the CSU and Berea have about the best kits I can buy... I really believe the mechanisms are pretty much the same and most likely come from the same supplier overseas...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
For the few problems I have had in my kits I really can't blame any supplier.
The one style of pen that has given me the most problem was bought at Woodcraft.If you do your homework you'll know who supplies them.
I believe it is the design of the kit combined with operator error so I woun't mention the company as I use other kits from them and they work fine.
Bear in mind many kits are are provided by one supplier,the Cigar being one.The cigar is resold under different names by many suppliers.
Also I have used "cliks"3 different styles from PSI and the "B" company with no problems with the mechanism.My complaint is the size(too small) but I have customized them to make them a more substantial pen.
Never had a problem with a slim line that was not my fault.
I chose not to vote.

woodwish

I mostly use CSUSA just because they have a nice catalog and supply most of all my woodturning needs, although they are a little pricey it seems. The biggest complaint I had when I first started was the lack of decent instructions for assembly.
Experience, this forum, a few books, and a fair amount of mechanical logic has been what has made the difference. On the other hand the instructions from the others are just as bad. On the few occasions that I have actually called CSUSA they have been extremely helpful and friendly on the phone, so different from calling tech support for computers.

Deere41h

My feeling tend to follow along with others that have commented. Since I could not vote for two I choose not to vote. I buy different pens from different companies but CS and Berea supply the majority of what I buy. I have not had a problem with either of them. IMHO those two supply the best kits. But as you can tell from my numbers I am relatively new to this form.

nilsatcraft

You're right, Woodbutcher, I am happy to see this! Just as an FYI, many companies do get their pens from the same place but we're largely separate from the group. We don't get our pens from the same place as Berea and many of our pens are of our own design. There are a lot of great pens out there and we're glad that so many people like ours!

Daniel

I voted for CSUSA, I don't do alot of Berea Pens. I started with only P.S.I. two years ago because that was the first catalog I had and started making plans from it. CSUSA and Berea came into the picture aboutthe same time and I liked the internals of the Artisan pens that show up on the outside. the center band and the clip with A logo on it. I started getting those kits and have been hooked ever since. havn't had the time to venture into Berea territory to much. I personally wsn't real excited about the few Berea pens I have made. purly my taste though nothing wrong with there kits. for me it is CSUSA that has that little something that I like. Plus it always seems CSUSA and P.S.I. kits are more "Available" i can get everything I want by ordering from Ryan or Sheila so I keep my pens pretty well mixed up betwen those two.

GregD

Can we pick 3???? I chose not to vote because I can't pick just 1. So far, PSI, Woodcraft, an CSUSA have given me the best service. As far as what kit might have the better parts, I think it's a toss up. They all seem to be pretty good.

wayneis

WoodCraft does have a few pen kits of their own. The Wall Street, the Oxford and the Spider flat top are three examples, these three I know well as they are good sellers for me. Wood Craft is the only place that has these three kits.

Wayne

Jakesaw

Originally posted by GregD
<br />Can we pick 3???? I chose not to vote because I can't pick just 1. So far, PSI, Woodcraft, an CSUSA have given me the best service. As far as what kit might have the better parts, I think it's a toss up. They all seem to be pretty good.

FYI - When I started turning just over a year ago making my first pen - I did alot of research about where to get pens and ended up learning that there were only 3 pen manufacturers. Penn State Ind / Craft Supply / and / Berea. Everything else you see at places like Woodcraft / woodturningz / etc is a resell from one of those 3.

Jake

Bill Collier

I started out using only PSI because I got the best deals there. Later I tried Craft Supplies and Berea and found the overall quality to be better. They do cost more but if I'm going to make it I want the finished product to be something I'm proud of.
Bill

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Bill Collier
<br />I have noticed that it says on the Berea catalog that they are manufacturers. Do they actually make the components or do they import them?

Reasonable question. But, these days, the question who is 'manufacturer' is pretty loose. As far as I know, Nike products are all made in South America or the Pacific rim. But their offices are in the U.S. Does that make them manufacturer/not manufacturer? I believe all the pen kits are Chinese made.

its_virgil

WC also has the Robusto which is the same kit as the Havana from CSUSA and I think they have the Jr version but can't remember the name. I only buy from them in a pinch because the same kits are cheaper elsewhere.
Do a good turn daily!
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />WoodCraft does have a few pen kits of their own. The Wall Street, the Oxford and the Spider flat top are three examples, these three I know well as they are good sellers for me. Wood Craft is the only place that has these three kits.

Wayne

tinker

I didn't vote because I don't have used anything but woodcraft and Penn State. The Woodcraft (5 ea) worked well. The Penn State (50 ea) skip when writting. Not happy with the twenty or so that I have assembled. Probably won't order more from them. Will keep an eye on this thread and go with the majority.
edit-two trains of thought caused that great sentence structure. Need to read before posting.[:I]

jenamison

I really like the CSUSA kits the best of all and I know you get what you pay for...but, I wish they would work a little more with the penturner instead of against us in the rising cost. I can't hardly afford their high end kits anymore. Don't get me wrong I love them and they are my favorite, but dang! Not every market can afford to sell these nice pens in the hundred dollar range and if you don't you barely make enough after all you put into them to keep buying them. Hopefully some others here feel the same way and if so maybe someone at CSUSA will see that and rethink these costs...I love their products don't get me wrong...just help us turners help your business grow by allowing us to buy more of your product....[:)] If nobody agrees, just let this post go and I will go to bed for the night. Take care. Mike

alamocdc

I'm on your side, Mike. That very factor is the biggest thing that has kept me from getting into the CSUSA kits thus far. Sorry, Nils, but money is money and mine is precious to me.

wood-of-1kind

I agree that pen kit costs are rising higher and higher. As a Canadian penturner, I am faced with currency exchange, P.S.T. and G.S.T. (provincial and federal taxes) and the higher cost of shipping from U.S. suppliers. I can only dream of purchasing pens at similar costs akin to my fellow American penturners. I'm not whining since I really enjoy this hobby but I am working on sourcing direct with Taiwan and possibly purchasing in bulk (components). Quite frankly, I find the current packaging format a waste (what to do with so many of those little polybags??).Someone has to pay for the packaging (you and I) even if labour rates are 1/40th of North American rates.

-Peter-

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Peter,

If everyone would buy kits 25 at a time, they would package them in 25's. Years ago, you could buy 100 pens and forego the packaging (pricing was pretty good too). Unfortunately, not enough people did that to keep it as an option. So, now, support your local dump-throw away the tiny packages!![}:)][}:)][}:)]

mikes pens

Peter, in response to your: "Quite frankly, I find the current packaging format a waste (what to do with so many of those little polybags??)". I give them to the local drug dealers to use as "dime bags". [:D]

Mike

its_virgil

A link would be nice, else we can't find it!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ograywolf
<br />Has anybody had any experience with Augum's Pen Works? They seem to have a well-organized web page and a broad variety of kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom