White Ironbark - Eucalyptus leucoxylon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

I received this blank fromEuge, who is a member on the Aussie Woodworking Forums, and a prominent wood collector, it looked a bit plain in the rough, but it has come up rather nice with a bit of treatment.

My intention with this pen was to mimic another penturners signature profile, who I think has perfected the shape for the Streamline like no other.

This pen was turned entirely with the skew, the timber was not sanded at all, it received 3 coats of thin CA, which had the shine knocked back with a quick rub with 0000 steelwool.

I have omitted his signature embellishments commonly seen on his pens, and concentrated solely on the profile, I hope I have done it justice.

Please enjoy this tribute to Peter ( penpal ).
DSC_1327.jpg

DSC_1332.jpg

DSC_1331.jpg

DSC_1326.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The AMAZING beauty of wood !!!!

A tribute indeed !!! . Thanks for showing !!

Excellent photos also !!

PenPal

Morning Brad yes I am still hung up over Slims and Streamlines and mixes of the two.

Loved the timber mate it deserved the profile you gave it mate,nothing white unlike the name,huge grain ,well seen and acted apon.

Thankyou for being my mate,I would remark very few turners can display their pens better than these pics shown.

I am currently slaving over some harvested very old Elm from Tasmania cut some twenty years ago,I managed to get scraps of. I had the opportunity to buy a platter for 90,00 bucks here in Canberra but typical of a lot of turners they think in rough terms of thickness and employ weird filling methods. I had a vision of making and having pieces fall off you did not know were stitched on.

Yesterday I let my phone loose in the wilds of Tasmania And I think I can get some of the hoarded good stuff.

Spent untold hours so far resurrecting my device for facets,still having fun and the buzz is real.

I spent ages going over your pics No1 in particular is incredible the way it revealed a little known Burl from Euge in Victoria ,keep the ball rolling Brad as one of my heroes. Mislaid your phone number mate not even sure its current send me a pm with it ,time we had a good yarn.

Kind regards Peter.

Ironwood

Morning Brad yes I am still hung up over Slims and Streamlines and mixes of the two.

Loved the timber mate it deserved the profile you gave it mate,nothing white unlike the name,huge grain ,well seen and acted apon.

Thankyou for being my mate,I would remark very few turners can display their pens better than these pics shown.

I am currently slaving over some harvested very old Elm from Tasmania cut some twenty years ago,I managed to get scraps of. I had the opportunity to buy a platter for 90,00 bucks here in Canberra but typical of a lot of turners they think in rough terms of thickness and employ weird filling methods. I had a vision of making and having pieces fall off you did not know were stitched on.

Yesterday I let my phone loose in the wilds of Tasmania And I think I can get some of the hoarded good stuff.

Spent untold hours so far resurrecting my device for facets,still having fun and the buzz is real.

I spent ages going over your pics No1 in particular is incredible the way it revealed a little known Burl from Euge in Victoria ,keep the ball rolling Brad as one of my heroes. Mislaid your phone number mate not even sure its current send me a pm with it ,time we had a good yarn.

Kind regards Peter.
Nothing at all wrong with Slims, and Streamlines, misjudged by some.
I had fun turning this one, from the outset I wanted to finish off the skew, it had the hair standing up on the back of my neck often. The wild and undulating grain made things difficult to maintain a steady planing cut, I sharpened the skew more often on this pen than ever before. The 3 thin coats of CA were just enough to seal the timber, not enough to pool on top, the result is a pen that feels like timber. I can close my eyes and handle this pen, and there is no mistaking that it's a timber pen.

Sounds like you are busy doing what you love Peter, I am glad to hear it.
I love your zest for life.

Top Bottom