Which Chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcollazo

This coming year I'd like to explore making small boxes, compact mirrors, ornaments.... small stuff. I'm confused as to what kind(s) of chuck I should use for these projects. I've looked at Beall's Treen mandrel and I see the Penn State has a couple of expanding and jam chucks. What would be some good choices? I've got the extra money now.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Check here http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WC&Category_Code=CHU

Choice depends on your lathe...but I would look at SN2 if I were you.

Rifleman1776

If budget is not a consideration, Dario's advice is very good. But the PSI chucks are knock-offs at much lower prices. Reports are that they are good. My GMC3 mini-chuck is excellent. And, for about $80.00 it come with three sets of jaws that are additional cost with the higher priced brands. It's a choice only you can make.

papadan

Not to steal a thread, but I just bought the Penn State Barracuda2 chuck system. Any thoughts on this one? I chose it because it has 4 sets of jaws and a screw adapter. Cost was $169

jcollazo

I decided to go with the Barracuda2 system. I found it at Long Island Woodworking for a total (including shipping) of $158.90. It should be here the 26th or 27th.

Thanks for the information.

jeffnreno

I've had a vicmarc for about 5 years - easy to use lots of accessories available for it. One thing I would definitly recomend is whichever unit you buy get one that uses a single key to open and close that way you can hold your piece as you tighten the chuck.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jeffnreno
<br />I've had a vicmarc for about 5 years - easy to use lots of accessories available for it. One thing I would definitly recomend is whichever unit you buy get one that uses a single key to open and close that way you can hold your piece as you tighten the chuck.

That key vs. using tommy bars to tighten is a personal thing. I don't find using tommy bars a big inconvenience. Key would be handy but it is really a very minor issue IMHO.

woodwish

Personally I would recommend the Vicmark. Bought a 3.5" inch one years ago and slowly added more jaws. When I bought a bigger lathe I just bought a new insert for it and still gets used all the time. High quality and I love the one-hand use of the hex key. Wanted a second one to speed up some production work that requires two different sets of jaws so I bought one of the Grizzy knock-offs that use Vicmark jaws, used it a few times and then gave away the piece of junk. Bought a second VM at the AAW symposium this summer from Vic himself. Nice guy and great quality stuff, worth every penny compared to others I have used at club meetings.

papadan

The Bar.2 came ready to fit my Jet mini with 1x8 threads but also had an adapter with it for 3/4 x16 which fits my Ridgid lathe out in the shop. The chuck on my little metal lathe uses the tommy bars to tighten it. Had not used my metal lathe in several years but picked up almost 60 pen kits for a buck apiece on a clearance table. About 6 different kits in the bunch and had to make bushings for some of them out of brass and aluminum scraps I had.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
Originally posted by jeffnreno
<br />I've had a vicmarc for about 5 years - easy to use lots of accessories available for it. One thing I would definitly recomend is whichever unit you buy get one that uses a single key to open and close that way you can hold your piece as you tighten the chuck.

That key vs. using tommy bars to tighten is a personal thing. I don't find using tommy bars a big inconvenience. Key would be handy but it is really a very minor issue IMHO.

Might be a big issue on a lathe that has no spindle lock since homo-sapiens lack the third hand [:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom