Which bandsaw blade for pen work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I am going to buy a Timberwolf bandsaw blade for my grizzly (yes, the G0555 that everyone loves!). I'm just wondering which size people use and find to be the best size for pen work- cutting blanks to length, making cuts within a blank to incorporate various stuff into the blank? Is there a size as far as width and teeth per inch that people think works the best?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Call suffolk machinery...they are really good in giving advise as to what blade configuration will best work for your application.

tipusnr

I use the widest blade my saw will handle as I want straight cuts that require little sanding (even in glue-ups). The only reason to use a thinner blade would be for curves.

alamocdc

Angela, I agree with both Dario and Bill. If you can afford it, take advantage of the buy 3 get a 4th free offer. That way you can have a variety of blades for different jobs. Their staff will also explain the best way to setup and tension their blades. They're very happy to help out.

dubdrvrkev

I use 1/2" 4 tpi timberwolf on my griz. I wouldn't use it for any glue up stuff (without sanding) but I wanted something that is good for bowl blanks as well. Its been an all around good blade much better than what came with it.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by angboy
<br />I am going to buy a Timberwolf bandsaw blade for my grizzly (yes, the G0555 that everyone loves!). I'm just wondering which size people use and find to be the best size for pen work- cutting blanks to length, making cuts within a blank to incorporate various stuff into the blank? Is there a size as far as width and teeth per inch that people think works the best?

I have been using a 3/8"X6tpi Timberwolf for everything for about two years. Finally wore it out. Have to admit, I was pushing it's limits, and life, by resawing 6" hardwoods with it. Just ordered four new T'wolves from Suffolk. They are having a buy three, get one free sale. I had planned on buying two. But what I ended up with was a 1/8" for tight turns, two different kinds of 3/8"X6 (one for slightly coarser work) and a 3/4"X4 for resawing. The 3/4" will probably also be my most used day to day blade. I'll change only for fine work and/or curvy stuff. BTW, my bandsaw is also the much heralded Grizzly G0555, love it.

thetalbott4

The wider the blade, the straighter they cut. 4 tpi works great for me and I cut blanks for sale from some of the hardest burls around. Timberwolf is definately the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom