Which air compressor for casting Alumilite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Just about any old air compressor will work to generate pressure. However, if you are going to use it for pulling a vacuum using a cheapo HF air vacuum pump, you'll want a compressor with a nice, big air tank.

rherrell

I just use PR but for either one all you need is something that will give you between 20 and 40 lbs. or so. I cast using 25 lbs.
If your pot is set up right and doesn't leak you can disconnect the hose immediately. Heck, you could probably fill up one of those cheap air tanks at your corner gas station and carry it home and use it!:D

ElMostro

If you are using pressure to cast Alumilite you need a compressor that has an air tank, not just an air compressor that blows air, like those electric ones used around the house. Reason being, Alumilite sets pretty fast, so you need to reach pressure pretty fast. I have not attempted it but I think the alumilite would set before you reach the propper presure. I have a 4 or 5 Gal (can't remember) small pancake compresor and it works fine for casting at 80PSI in the HF pressure pot.

Eugene

Top Bottom