Where to ask this question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

I know this is oddball, but with all of the machine knowledge on this forum I am hoping to find the right place to ask.
My wife and I remodeled our kitchen over the last few months and we have new stools for sitting at the island. Trouble is they are about 1-2" too low.
The legs are square. I'm trying to find a way to extend the legs without it looking like a job done by a messy mad scientist.
I'd appreciate any advice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I suppose that a pen turner might be inclined to turn a round extension piece for each of the legs.
But round does not merge nicely with square. . Getting "precisely" the same length for each leg to avoid wobble would not be too problematic.
Besides, the weight of a sitting person might take out this slight effect.

Could turn a 1" thick disc, the diameter of the top cushion that you sit on, and attach it under each cushion ? A 2-inch thickness might be too much.
I am thinking that such a disc would go between the cushion unit and the frame of the stool.

Will sit back and see what other suggestions come up .......

EDIT :- Seems that Hank has a similar idea to my second one.

jttheclockman

Jeff hit one of my suggestions and the other would be to do as we do in pen blanks and make an oops band of a darker color wood and being square would be easy to match size and a small dowel in the center of both pieces for extra glue surface. You could chamfer the edges so to give both a sleeker look and also keep from splintering. Use a hardwood.

Usually stools are adjustable in the seat area.

MRDucks2

I am with Hank on this one. Finding a way to raise or increase the thickness of the seat would be the first thing I looked at.

tomas

I think I would try building up the seat first. I also might take a look at adding casters.

Good luck!
Tomas

monophoto

We have hardwood floors in our kitchen/breakfast room, so we have had to make sure that the legs of our stools/chairs won't scratch the floors. We tried those stick-on felt pads - great idea, but terrible execution; over time they slip laterally and eventually come off, leaving sticky goo that gets all over the floor. So our final solution was rubber/plastic feet that attach to the bottom of the legs with a screw. The bottom of each foot has a recess to prevent the screw head from actually touching the floor (although eventually, they do wear down, so it is necessary to occasionally check to make sure that the screw heads remain recessed, and replace them if necessary. They are available in both black and white and in various diameters. But the key point is that they elevate the chair/stool about 1/2-3/4".

So it seems to me that the first step would be to install feet on the stools, and see if that provides enough additional height. If not, then I would agree with others that the next step would be to provide additional thickness in the seat area. I expect that there are round tenons on the tops of the legs that are glued into holes in the seat - don't think you want o try to modify that. But you could relatively easily add some upholstery foam padding on top of the seat, and then a vinyl or even leather covering that has the effect of making the seat thicker and that would look like it was just part of the original stool design.

Top Bottom