where do i start

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi I have only recently got into making pens "hell is it addictive!!! And now I'm intrigued on how to cast your own blanks.
1. I live in the UK.
2. I have no equipment at all.
3. I have no idea how to cast them.
4. I have no idea on what a total beginner needs to make blanks.
5. Is it cheaper to buy the pen blanks or to make your own?

B great is someone can give me some pointers.
Best regards Mervyn
splinterinfinger

www.turnedwood.co.uk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Narwhale

Mervyn,
Casting your own blanks is pretty easy and interesting, and the best place I know of to read about casting is in this casting section of this forum.
Suggest you read all the post for the first 20 to 30 pages to get the gist of things. Basically, all one needs is moulds (6" long sections of 1"id and/or 3/4" id plastic pipe sealed with tape at one end), casting resign and the catalist for it (say a gollon of clear casting polyester resin for $40 or so, here in the States), and some coloring agent. I realy like the powdered micas from Coastal Scents. Add some misc stuff, including waxed paper Dixe cups in both large and small sizes, mixng sticks, and your are there.
The polyester resin contracts slightly when it hardens, thus the blanks are easy to knock ut of the plastic pipe moulds.
Money wise, one set up, the cost of making you own blanks is roughly 40 cents or so. The set-up might be $80 or so with good colors.
that is a lot of blanks, the decision is yours.
Rich S.

Daddy1

What I have learned is to listen to the advise of those in this forum. It will save you alot of $$$ and time. I have also learned to get the right stuff. The powder dye and luster pigments are GR8. The silicon molds from gadget are gr8 2. Again, getting the right stuff early on will save a lot of time and $$$$.
Casting is just like pen turning it starts out simple and then can get complicated and expensive and as you said horrible addictive.

Thanks guys for the tips. I have been reading some of the posts and some info scattered around the Internet and have things a little clearer, I'm trying to search for the moulds and the materials for casting my own pen blanks for craft shops in the UK if there's and brits out there now where i can purchase the materials in the UK great if you could let me know. Thanks again guys for the tips' anymore info you would like to add be great to drop a line.

Best regards Mervyn
www.turnedwood.co.uk

UKpenmaker

Hi Mervyn, there are a few places which supply the casting materials.

http://www.resin-supplies.co.uk/intro_page.htm
http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/project-clearcast.html
http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/index.php?osCsid=0b85ce35f4baf56b048baf26b755771b

There probobly are may more, but htese are the ones i have dealt with.

Regarding a pressure pot, although not crucial, i have done some casting just by leaving the resin in the moulds to set with no pressure.
The best place to get a pot from is Axminster, it is not advertised on their site or in the brochure. You will need to ring up and quote teh code number AS1080PP (replacemnet paint pot) this cost me around £30 when i got mine, may be a little more now.

Hope this helps you out a bit Mervyn

Top Bottom