Where did pen kits start

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarrierBob

I know this may be a strange question, but anyway. When, where and who started the DIY pen kit idea. It has been a really fun thing for me over 25 years now. I really never thought about my question before, but would interested in any information on how this all got started. I don't mean pens, I'm talking about the concept of pen kits you can make. Thanks Bob R.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great question! I am not sure about pen kits, but I remember seeing a set of rollers to put on the ends of a blank and then rotating the blank over a router bit mounted into a router - in a router table, and it seems like that was back in the late 80's or early '90s at least.

egnald

Berea Hardwoods was there in the early days of kits. I know they established several of the standards, such as the "A" mandrel size that we (well, most of us that use pen mandrels) use. They also developed a "B" mandrel that had a larger diameter to provide more stability for the larger pen kits. It never really caught on and as far as I know, the "B" mandrel was never made by anyone else, only Berea.

There is a nice bit of history on the Berea Hardwoods site that offers a little glimpse into the early days:

The Berea Hardwoods Co. Inc. was founded in 1980 as a mail order seller of high quality exotic wood and figured wood. The company's founder perceived a need for a very reliable and knowledgeable supplier. His perception proved correct as the company grew by supplying amateur cabinetmakers as well as small professional shops. The business expanded into specialty areas such as instrument woods, custom knife woods, woods for rifle stocks, woods for pool cue makers, etc. Eventually the company became involved in supplying a new growing market - wood turners. The Berea Hardwoods Co. searched the world to find new and interesting turning woods. The company pioneered importation of Australian turning woods and other unique situations. We continue today to supply rare and unusual woods, rare figure types, and turning wood and burls.

In the late 1980's a chance meeting with a Taiwan businessman, Mr. Frank Cho, President and owner of G.E. Products led us to a new idea for turners-making pens from wood. A formal and exclusive business partnership was established. After developing this idea for local sale, the Company felt that a strong national market existed. We began engineering and designing pens for kit makers as well as tooling to make these kits. The same approach the Company took with wood was applied to pen kits, that is, to sell only a high quality product with knowledgeable service. Since this beginning we have pioneered numerous innovations, such as screw cap pen kits, titanium gold and black titanium plating, the double mandrel, the use of delrin, solid sterling silver kits, and many more. We continue to design original kits with superior engineering rather than simply buy generic parts.

Regards,
Dave

BarrierBob

Great information. I started pen making in around 92. Saw a demo of pen turning at a Woodcraft store in San Antonio Tx. That's how it all stared for me. Just wondered who started the whole pen kit idea. It sure has been a lot of fun. thanks for all the information and input.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
The first wood pen I ever made was made using my drill press with the wood blank held vertically and the shaping done with sanding blocks. I found the instructions in "WOOD" magazine in the early 1980"s if I remember correctly. Someone who has the USB index for the magazine might could chase that down.

egnald

As a follow up, here is a short bit of information I found regarding Frank Cho, the founder of G.E. Products in Taiwan (stands for Good Excellent Products - not General Electric). It talks about his beginning and involvement with the pen kits industry.

Before the GE products Co., Ltd founded in 1979, the president, Mr. Frank Cho, had been in partnership with other companies in the field of imitation jewelry & ornaments for so many years, which brings abundant experience to Frank for the adoption of many materials including gold, silver, copper, iron, aluminum, wood, bamboo, shell, stone, porcelain, glasses, acrylic, plastic…., etc. during that period of time.

After the foundation in 1979 of the G. E. products Co, Ltd., Frank had developed his way towards pen, stationary, an d gifts. Except the innovation of raw materials, Frank had also developed the multi-functional pen kits, acting as a pioneer in the pen kits industry. Around the year of 1984, the cooperation with the British & US clients for the pen kits DIY market had been formed an d fulfilled until present day.

By remaining the current product development, GE has aggressively exchanged experiences with diverse electrical, chemical, an d green-energy industries, looking forward to implement the OEM or ODM term with global celebrated enterprises, targeting more prospective business areas.

Regards,
Dave

Top Bottom