What's the difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

I am looking to buy, receive some new gouges for Christmas this year. After looking at all the different kinds, I came to the conclusion. I have no real idea what the real differences in the types of lathe tools, besides what they look like, of course. I mainly turn pens with a few bottle stoppers thrown in. On an earlier thread, I mentioned I might want to turn some shot glasses. The only tool I really use so far is a skew. Can someone answer for me these few questions in plain English?
Why does a skew cut smoother than a gouge?
What is the real difference in angles of cutting edges on the different tools?
Can I use a spindle gouge for turning a small bowl?
Do I need to get a scraper?
And finally, If I were to take a spindle gouge and cut the angle steeper, how would it affect my cuts?
I feel like these should be elementary questions, yet I really don't know the answers
Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />I am looking to buy, receive some new gouges for Christmas this year. After looking at all the different kinds, I came to the conclusion. I have no real idea what the real differences in the types of lathe tools, besides what they look like, of course. I mainly turn pens with a few bottle stoppers thrown in. On an earlier thread, I mentioned I might want to turn some shot glasses. The only tool I really use so far is a skew. Can someone answer for me these few questions in plain English?
And finally, If I were to take a spindle gouge and cut the angle steeper, how would it affect my cuts?
I feel like these should be elementary questions, yet I really don't know the answers
Thanks!!

Good questions.

the best answer i can give you is to read a book on fundlementals of woodturning.
the other answer for the spindle gouge on a small bowl is to try it with some practice wood.

as far as a scraper, i used it on a bowl i made last week. i did not have a catch/dig with the scraper at all. i had a big catch with my bowl gouge and shattered the bowl. i ended up looking for my bowl gouge for about 10 mins later that nite. found it stuck in the rose bushes. it dont pay to get mad at tools.
I would recomend getting one. also with a scraper you will have less sanding to do.

jjenk02

Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />
Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />I am looking to buy, receive some new gouges for Christmas this year. After looking at all the different kinds, I came to the conclusion. I have no real idea what the real differences in the types of lathe tools, besides what they look like, of course. I mainly turn pens with a few bottle stoppers thrown in. On an earlier thread, I mentioned I might want to turn some shot glasses. The only tool I really use so far is a skew. Can someone answer for me these few questions in plain English?
Thanks!!

Good questions.

the best answer i can give you is to read a book on fundlementals of woodturning.
the other answer for the spindle gouge on a small bowl is to try it with some practice wood.

as far as a scraper, i used it on a bowl i made last week. i did not have a catch/dig with the scraper at all. i had a big catch with my bowl gouge and shattered the bowl. i ended up looking for my bowl gouge for about 10 mins later that nite. found it stuck in the rose bushes. it dont pay to get mad at tools.
I would recomend getting one. also with a scraper you will have less sanding to do.

Temper temper[:D] throwing bowl gouges could be harmful to your heath[:eek:)]

Dario

Gary,

Not sure if I can help here is what I think...

Skew cuts smoother than a gouge because of the way it is used....it slices rather than scrape (unless you use it as a scraper which is also fine).

Can you use a spindle gouge for bowl? Yes. Should you? No. That said, I've used it before I got a bowl gouge and it did work. Do learn how to sharpen it, understand how it cuts and you will be fine.

Scraper is optional...but is is very easy to use and has the least learning curve that is why it is widely used. Some "purists" snob scraper users [;)].

The smaller the angle the more agressive the cut can be...if you can control it properly, it can provide better cut BUT if not, it can also lead to dramatic catches. I am not advocating it but if you really intend to use a spindle gouge on bowls you might also have to change the end profile to a fingernail shape ala Ellsworth grind.

If you want to cheat, you can drill before turning [;)] just find the biggest bit you can find.

Will you believe me that I hollowed my first bowl with a parting tool? Back then, that is the only tool I had that is strong enough to have hanging long from the toolrest that won't chatter. Chatter is bad (unless created intentionally), that is why a thick scraper is good.

Good luck!!!

gerryr

I have a 1" round nose scraper and use it a lot. I use it exclusively on antler and bone and almost exclusively on resins. I think it's at least 1/4" thick. I've made one not very good bowl and used the scraper quite a bit while doing it. If you want to do something like shot glasses, you will need a gouge. I've done a few little goblets, there's one in my album, using a 1/4" spindle gouge.

GBusardo

Thanks for the info everyone. I got myself a book from the library, between that and your comments, I should get a better understanding of what I am trying to do. I have to ask though, why would a scrapper user be looked down on? ummm oh. never mind. Let's not start a war
Thanks again!

Dario

Gary,

I don't think you will have the war here...as I said only some "purists" think so...and there is very little of them around now. If there is any among us here at IAP it will be a handful at most [}:)]

If you buy a bowl gouge...be careful with sizing. Some measure the distance between top of the flute (English) others use the metal diameter (American). Inquire what the seller is using before buying...a 1/2" could be sold as 5/8" and vice versa and the price between the two can be substantial.

The answers to all you questions will fill a book

I suggest "Woodturning, A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley.

If I where only allowed two turning tools, I would pick a 3/8" bowl gouge and a 1/2" skew.
(luckily, I have more than a few dozen [:D])

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Presently I am using a set from HF that go for $12.00 in a vinyl pouch but don't use allof them.There are * in the set I think.
If I were to upgrade I would get the expensive set at HF for $40.00,Yeah I know it is rather extravagant but then again I use them a lot.
That set has the same chisels in with a nicer handle.
Maybe I wouldn't need to use my favorite parting tool anymore the sharpened stainlesss steel butter knife.
Upgrade chisel wish list if I can afford them
Of course I will have to cut the handles down.
Get an inexpensive set, experiement with them, replace with high dollar when you discover which ones you like best.(if so inclined, I haven't seen the need to)
For me I think someday I will just sharpen a screwdriver and turn a pen with it.

leatherjunkie

Yea i know that throwing bowl gouges can be hard on my health but it feels so good at the time i throw em[}:)]

as far as turning tools for pens i only use a 3/4" rough gouge and when i get withen 1/8" of the bushings i switch to a skew to finish.
then its sandpaper.
using the skew as a scraper has saved alot of sanding time for me.

bob393

The answere to your questions did fill a book.
Get "Turning Wood" by Richard Raffan
Keith Rowley's book "Woodturning, A foundation Course" is also good.
And you need
Kip and Rex's book "Turning pens and pencils"
Than practice practice practice. Reconfigure some pieces and sharpen, sharpen, sharpen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom