Whats the best dust collection system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjenk02

I know I'll get a lot of differant opinions on this, but here goes: I need to buy a good dust collection system for my shop and I would like to know which is best, the cyclone type or the standard two bag dust collector?

I'm also talking about a two HP or larger system.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mewell

I have the Jet 1200 CFM, 2 horse. I've added the canister filter and noticed a BIG difference. I'd suggest whatever choice you end up making go with a canister filter like this example from PSI:

DCANISTER.jpg

Mark

jjenk02

Originally posted by mewell
<br />I have the Jet 1200 CFM, 2 horse. I've added the canister filter and noticed a BIG difference. I'd suggest whatever choice you end up making go with a canister filter like this example from PSI:

DCANISTER.jpg

Mark

I had planed on doing that, Thanks.

Doghouse

Cyclone is no doubt the better of the 2 systems. At the same time the question is if you can afford it, or as bill pentz (sp) would say can afford not to have it..

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
One question for those "touting" the paer canister type?
The filter WIll get clogged.
How do you clean it?
What are you breathng WHEN you clean it?
I use a haome made separator made from plastic barrels.It stands 8 ft. tall because I ranout of six inch duct.
I have not had a need to empty the cloth bags in over a year.
Total cost for the gome made separator?
Less than $25.00.
I empty the separator with a Leaf hog once a year.

jjenk02

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />One question for those "touting" the paer canister type?
The filter WIll get clogged.
How do you clean it?
I use a haome made separator made from plastic barrels.It stands 8 ft. tall because I ranout of six inch duct.
I have not had a need to empty the cloth bags in over a year.
Total cost for the gome made separator?
Less than $25.00.
I empty the separator with a Leaf hog once a year.

Pictures please[:p]

Dario

Eagles,

Everything will be the same...just a different filter (canister instead of bag) so clean up is the same. A pre-separator can also be installed for all the bigger pieces.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />Eagle, you mean similar to one of those swirly things you stick on a trash can or 5 gallon bucket?
Nope mine is on steroids.
Never buy what you can build.

20061215221521_Separator%20005.jpg
<br />

20061215221551_Separator%20003.jpg
<br />

20061215221617_Separator%20006.jpg
<br />

20061215221659_Separator%20007.jpg
<br />

Daniel

Cyclone!!!
and as far as CFM. you need it to start at about 900 and that woudl be for something like the drill press.. for real dust makers you also need a lot more air to move. You also need it to move fast through the pipes and larger pipes move more air faster. think 6" pipes min.
I bought the Tempest after doing lots of homework. it lacks a couple of details but most of them can be added. like an air ramp. one that cannot be added is a rectangle air inlet. not easily any way. and a true neutral vain. they say it is neutral vein but if you study up on what that really is the one I got is not. the newest cyclone from P.S.I. may be as it was offered after I bought mine. thicker metal would be nice, otherwise there system pretty much has all the bells and wistles. Add a piece of rubber sheet to the inside of the cyclone right where the air enters. it helps prevent wear at that point.
that's all I can think of without digging out my notes. get the cyclone right with all the air speeds it needs etc. and you almost don't need a filter. very little bag cleaning is ever needed but canisters are by far better. they help keep the volume of air movment up where it needs to be.

beamer

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />
How do you clean it?

I leave everything sealed up (plastic bag on the bottom) and blow between the pleats with my air compressor. It all falls down into the bag first. I am NOT using a paper filter, mine's woven fabric from Wynn Environmental. They say you can spray it with water, and it will withstand 200psi of compressed air blown on it.

I'm breathing air WHEN i clean it :D

My plans include a cyclone in the near future, but for now that cartridge filter is usually 10x better than the bags that come with most systems. The surface area gained by upgrading to a canister filter is incredible, I don't ever plan to touch another fabric bag again. In my mind, those fabric bags are useless - anyone want my old ones? :p

woodbutcher

I bought the Cleavue.The system itself is fantastic.The company owner answers the phone most of the time and is helpful. You don't want to get anything you don't want sucked up even near the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom