What would you use??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am in the process right now of making between 20 and 25 new pen designs or at least for me new. Some maybe playoffs of older designs but when done I will post them in a series like I did the last group I made. But I came up with a design that needs to be wood based and segmented. Now I have used many different combinations of woods over the years but having a mental block on this one. So here is the jist of the blank. It will be segmented with a main body and accent pieces. I know I want to use some aluminum thin strips (maybe, not certain yet) But was thinking of using olive wood as the main body. Do not want to use gabon ebony as the secondary color but will probably use it in thin stripes. What would be a good secondary wood to go with olive wood. I think walnut is too plain but on the table. Some I was thinking of: bloodwood, rosewood, bubinga, sapele, wenge, teak or walnut. I did not want to use maple as the main body so thing olive wood over zebrawood.

Any thoughts?? Have you used olive wood with other woods and if so what?? Any photos?? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

John, I am very interested in this idea of yours.

Frankly, though, I had never thought of pairing up Olivewood with another secondary wood, mainly because Olivewood is such a dominant wood in its own right .... dominant in the sense that its two-color grain/swirl patterns grab your attention right away.

At first thought, the secondary wood might have to be one of the two colors already present ..... or, if not, certainly complementary to both, possibly a darkish red-brown. . That could depend on what segmentation patterns you have in mind.

I will give the matter some thought, but right now, like you, I am having a mental block

Dehn0045

I personally like the idea of olive paired with black or green versus red or brown. Lots of options for black - african Blackwood, bog oak, or ziricote are some that come to mind. Green is a little harder, I have some blue Mahoe that has a green tint to it, or rainbow poplar is another option.

Humongous

Of the woods that you listed I am most intrigued by the olive wood and Wenge combo. They can have similar grain patterns and are almost negatives of each other. I have also had very nice results using padauk with zebrawood, a little similar to olive.

Not being one who has ever done any segmenting I can't really speak to the set up but if the other species, other than Olive, have you considered some light Pink Ivory? It's not a strong looking species and if it's just going to be used as bands it might compliment the Olive well. Just a thought.

Dehn0045

Also consider the color change of the wood. I have had padauk go from a brilliant burnt orange to almost black. Most of the rosewoods get darker, some woods like redheart get lighter and more pale brown.

jttheclockman

All good points. May have to stack a few woods and stage them to get a better look. Who knows when all said and done I may go another way. But I do know it will not be black and white. Gosh I have about 5 blanks right now that are black and white and am tired of seeing that combo. Thanks.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Don't think I have any photo, but one I would look at is desert ironwood burl. It shines up well, easy to finish and would provide a nice contrast without being too dark like ebony. Would also go well with ebony if you are using that in the same design.

jttheclockman

Don't think I have any photo, but one I would look at is desert ironwood burl. It shines up well, easy to finish and would provide a nice contrast without being too dark like ebony. Would also go well with ebony if you are using that in the same design.
I am looking at some burls for the entire project now. Took out a bunch of woods today and just threw them out on the pool table and will mix and match things. Just do not an ordinary combination. But would like it to be wood as opposed to acrylics.

mick

I am in the process right now of making between 20 and 25 new pen designs or at least for me new. Some maybe playoffs of older designs but when done I will post them in a series like I did the last group I made. But I came up with a design that needs to be wood based and segmented. Now I have used many different combinations of woods over the years but having a mental block on this one. So here is the jist of the blank. It will be segmented with a main body and accent pieces. I know I want to use some aluminum thin strips (maybe, not certain yet) But was thinking of using olive wood as the main body. Do not want to use gabon ebony as the secondary color but will probably use it in thin stripes. What would be a good secondary wood to go with olive wood. I think walnut is too plain but on the table. Some I was thinking of: bloodwood, rosewood, bubinga, sapele, wenge, teak or walnut. I did not want to use maple as the main body so thing olive wood over zebrawood.

Any thoughts?? Have you used olive wood with other woods and if so what?? Any photos?? Thanks.
John I've always used bloodwood with olive. Something about the two together just appeals to me. I mix in some African Blackwood with the two sometimes as you mentioned. Good luck, knowing your work I doubt you'll make any bad choices!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom