I was doing some experimenting on this one-namely using a credit card strip between the cedar and resin center. I encountered issue after issue related to glue up but kept on going.
- Even though I sanded the raised letters off the credit card strip I didn’t take it down to a completely white facing. Either the epoxy didn’t hold or I put too much pressure on it while lining it up and there was not enough to keep it together. So, re-glue and wait.
- Drilling on the lathe was good, until I got to the second segment when it came apart again. No problem, just inset tube with lots of epoxy and back to the clamp. I use a Harbor Freight drill vise (not sure that’s what it’s actually called). That’s when the upper tube split, cleanly.
- More epoxy and clamp up. The blank looked decent on the outside.
- Turning went well until I got to within about 1/8inch of the desired diameter when large gaps on each side revealed the brass tube.
- So I filled with shavings and sanded with uncured CA until the gaps were filled. Turned it down, finished with GluBoost and assembled it on an Executive.
- Chalk it up to experience, disassemble and save the components for a better day.
- Give the pen away.
- Put it out for sale at a reduced price, if and when, shows ever open up.