What Type of Glue Do you Use for Pen Glue-ups?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Imported poll question missed, please edit

• CA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Polyurethane

• Epoxy

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deere41h

I find it interesting that this poll has been going on for over a year. WOW and no real consensus. For one or two pens I will use 5 min. epoxy and turn them after 30 to 45 min. I am now working on an order for 50 and used poly on those as I assembled them all at one time. Too much trouble mixing epoxy for that number. I have never had a problem with either epoxy or poly. Don't like ca though for what it is worth.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />I use five minute epoxy. It works. Started out using poly but it goes hard in the bottle and I waste about 50%. I have worse luck with CA and rarely use it for anything. My usual experience is: open bottle, use fraction of a drop, close bottle, next day all hard and wasted. With epoxy I do glueing ahead of time and turn when I am ready.
The trick to CA is once you open the bottle throw the cap away.
Do not let the end seal.
I have open bottles of thin, thick, and medium in the shop a;; the time.
The 16 ounce bottles are opened long enough to transfer into small bottles and then closed and kept in the refrigerator.

Tom McMillan

Wow---this is the first I've seen this poll---guess it started before I really got more active here. Anyway, I mostly use epoxy---one thing I'll say about it is I've had problems with one brand which I won't purchase anymore---including their 5 minute epoxy---the other brand of 5 minute or regular epoxy works great for me. Sometimes I will use Gorilla glue and I do like it---but especially for my 2 layer pens I always use epoxy for the second layer. I'm somewhat amazed at how many use CA---I guess if you're happy with it great---I stopped using it for gluing up blanks very early in my penmaking (over 10 years ago).

ldimick

I am now using Gorilla glue for my pen blanks. I was seeing some disturbing signs on some blow outs when using CA. I was noticing that unless I covered every single spot on the tube with CA there were places that the tube appeared to not have any CA at all even after slipping the tube in and out and turning it during insertion! Yet with Gorilla glue I see that I get a good coating all over the tube using the same methods as I did with the CA.

Fleabit

I moved to poly. I feel it gives me better set up and more working time. IF I don't use it for some reason (type of set up or what not) than I use epoxy.

Ryan

I had to vote "Other" because I use CA and Poly. I use the CA on the small 7mm pens and the poly on the Statesmans and Jr Statesmans or anything that I have to use my 15/32nds drill bit. The 15/32nds bit is oversized for the tubes and requires LOTS of CA or one coat of Poly to fill the void.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom