What type of finish did I buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the group and to pen turning, but have been woodturning on and off for approximately 15 years now. I've been reading several threads on the finishing forum and have one question (I'm sure they'll be more to come).

I purchased a bottle of Friction Polish from CSUSA a while back, and after reading a few particular threads I'm starting to wonder what it is I bought. Maybe I misread, but I'm now under the impression that there are two types of friction polish. One lacquer based and the other shellac based? The bottle I have simple reads "Craft Supplies..." on it, and the website doesn't specify what it is, how to use it, nor it's drying time. I tried e-mailing CSUSA customer service, but without response.

Does anyone know what this is? I assume it's shellac based and is applied similarly to brand name products. Here's a link to it: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=mylands-friction-polish

Any help will be appreciated,

P.S. GREAT SITE!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The finish you bought is simply Myland's Friction Polish repackaged in a CS bottle and in an 8-ounce size as opposed to the 16 ounce. It is a shellac based friction polish and is applied like Mylands, Crystal Coat and the others. Most lacquer based friction polishes are home-made.

nilsatcraft

Hi Scott- Lou hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what it is. I'm sorry that you didn't receive a response to your e-mail. I checked with our Customer Service Manager and it doesn't look like he ever received that e-mail. Sorry for the trouble, though. [:)]

Rifleman1776

BTW, Myland's, by any name, is a fine finish but better suited to larger items that won't receive much handling. I started with it because of ease of use and quick drying. Never have I been able to get the beautiful high sheen finish desired for pens and it certainly is not durable for handling.

Quick way to tell. Stick your nose near the open container. Smell alcohol and it is shellac, smell lacquer thinner it is lacquer, smell linseed oil and it is some form of resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom