What size bottle stopper blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

Heh could I get your guys and gals opinions on what size to make stopper blanks? Thanks in advance for your help.
Nolan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I've been getting foot and a half long 1.5" square blanks from Woodcraft and making my own blanks. Seems to work well for me.

BigRob777

I hate to cut into my own business, but in the Christmas spirit, I cut mine 2" X 2" X 2-1/4" to 2-1/2". Some folks cut theirs into cubes, but that limits the turner in his or her options. BTW, they can really be hard to sell in any case.
Merry Christmas,
Rob

DocStram

You gotta be really careful when you buy bottlestopper blanks online. It's surprising how small bs blanks can be. Just take a look at the ones at PSI and CSUSA.

Nolan

Thanks for the input guys! Rob dont worry I am in no position to compete with you[:D] I had a request for 2 x 2 x 2 1/2 but when I look at psi and csusa they list them at 1 1/2 Sq. Just cutting up some fall-off and such that I cant get multipul pen blanks out of.
Nolan

broitblat

I've found 1 1/2 square is plenty *most* of the time although I have found occasional use for something wider. If you use Bob Ginter's expanding seal stoppers, which are intended to have the wood enclose the top of the bottle, you'd want larger blanks to start with, too.

YoYoSpin

I use a variety of stopper block sizes. These stoppers were made from...

1 1/2" x 2 1/4" blocks:
x30.jpg

2" x 2" block:
x9.jpg

And 1 1/4" x 2 1/2" block:
118.jpg

keithz

I use 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 OR 2 x 2 by 3" to turn my stoppers. I usually buy 12 or 24" pieces and cut my own. I can also cut pen blanks from the same pieces of wood.

keithz

woodwish

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />. . . BTW, they can really be hard to sell in any case.
Merry Christmas,
Rob

Maybe I do a better job on my bottle stoppers than I do on my pens but stoppers out sell pens probably 4 to 1 for me. The bulk of my sales are kaleidoscopes just because they are little different and more "gifty" for lack of better term, but stoppers are always a sure way to pay the bills at most shows. If I depended on pens I rarely would even have enough for dinner after a show! [:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom