What respirator to buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

curlymaplefan

I have been using a lot of ca..and when I turn it..ya know I get this big ball of white smoke!!!!yuk..and ca just is nasty all around

It just makes me ill.... I need a respirator,what do you think I should buy

Thanks
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I've been using the Triton powered respirator for a few months, now. As I've mentioned before, I find it pretty comfortable, but I haven't used it in the heat of summer, yet.

My only complaints are that it may cut out too much of the noise -- I want to hear what my turnings are doing!? Oh, and I have to remember I can't blow sawdust away through the face shield.

As I understand it, neither the Triton or the Trend are really rated to keep out CA fumes. They are meant more for larger (dust) particles. I (at least) don't smell the CA while wearing the respirator, but I don't think that necessarily means you are protected.

-Barry

Daniel

If you have a safety supply store near by I suggest you see them. they can fit you, test you and all. Every one I have been to does this free of charge. fumes and dust have different filter cartridges. and different fumes need different cartridges sometimes. if you tell them you will be working around dust and acitone they will be able to find you the right filter. I wear a half mask respirator. it is actually very comfortable but I had to actually get a physical to be able to use it. the full head thing with a fan is a much better idea. I first got mine to work around massive amounts of hydrachloric acid. Man talk about knowing when the seal on your face got broken. my eyes would water for several minutes if I got even a whiff. Taught me proper care of the respirator though.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a dual canister mask that fits tight enough that it doesn't leak and fog my glasses. It does well for fumes and dust.

I also have a Triton. It does not filter the fumes as mentioned above but that should not be a problem if properly done. I attach the Triton filter to my belt, towards my back side. It filters any dust and keeps my glasses from fogging. So far I have not had any fume smells with the air entrance at that location.

I don't use the Triton or the dual filter enough as my lazy work habits are to work a minute or two in applying a finish and letting it cure for 10 minutes; sand 1 minute, apply a coat of CA let it cure for 10 minutes; repeat two or three times. In an hour I have done 10 minutes work related to CA and the rest spent doing something else. I was taking the helmet/mask on and off, on and off, on and off, and that got to be a pain. I also hate having it on for 50 minutes out of an hour that is not needed. . . So I made a dust collection system. It does fairly well.

edstreet

I use the quick latch pro from home depot/lowes. be sure to get the P100 canisters with it. that's the one listed for mold/lead/asbestos. I would really like one of those power respirators and one day will buy me one.

Ed

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Does the Triton fit a large head, 7 5/8? The add on Amazon size it fits "common" head sizes. What does that mean? Most caps that say one size fits all are too small so I must not have a common head size.

Yeah, I know, I'm a fat head. :D:D

igran7

I spent $289.00 on a Trend Airshield last summer. It didn't work to keep C.A. fumes out, so I took it back to Woodcraft and bought a $34.00 dual canister respirator from Lowes and am much happier with its performance in regards to CA fumes, not to mention the $255.00 savings.:D

toolcrazy

Originally posted by dalemcginnis

Does the Triton fit a large head, 7 5/8? The add on Amazon size it fits "common" head sizes. What does that mean? Most caps that say one size fits all are too small so I must not have a common head size.

Yeah, I know, I'm a fat head. :D:D

It works for me, and I'm 7 7/8+ and there is room. And most things don't fit me.

I bought the Triton and it included chemical filters. I was surprised. Also, I have half face filter, but I can't use it, I have a beard and It doesn't seal properly.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by railrider1920

Have a question about them as well if you don't mind....
While wearing a respirator, can a face shield be worn at the same time?

Both the Triton and the Trend are a respirator and face shield built into one.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by railrider1920

Thanks Dale. I guess I should have been a little more clear. The regular types of respirators that don't have the face shield built into it, that only cover the mouth and nose, can they be worn while also wearing a face shield? The kind like at this link:
http://www.north-safety.com/product.php?Item_ID=5169

Yes, you can wear a respirator like that with a face shield. That is the setup I am currently using and I strongly recommend full face shields over just goggles as it paid off for me last night. Bounced a vase I was turning off my face shield and it disappeared somewhere into my shop[:I]. Am about to go clean my shop and see if I can find it.
I just purchased the Triton on sale at Amazon because the half face respirators don't work well for me with my beard.

Top Bottom