What motor for Delta 14

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jthompson1995

I want to upgrade my Delta 14" bandsaw. I plan on getting the riser block and the 3/4 hp motor is woefully under powered for sawing up big hunks of wood. I saw on Russ Fairfield's website the recommendation to put in a 1.5 hp baldor motor but it didn't have specifics as to what body type. I plan to re-use the pulley off of my existing motor, which is still good, just too small for what I'm doing (didn't think I would be cutting anything bigger than a few inches thick when I got it, luckily I can just upgrade instead of having to buy a new bandsaw).

I know it should be a 1725 rpm single phase, I think a 5/8 shaft and counterclockwise rotation. I don't know if body style really makes a difference in this case. I also don't understand the difference between the compressor duty, farm duty and general duty motors available.

Is there anyone that can offer some guidance on this?

Thanks,
JT

KenV

You are pushing the upper end of starting loads for motors at 110 volts. High amp draw as starting will cause a voltage drop, and the lines on circuits need to be 12 gage or larger (copper). Look for a 20 Amp curcuit

Grizzly sells a 110/220 volt 1.5 hp TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor of the sort you want for a saw dust environment for under $200. Check the mounting plates and figure you may have to make an adapter plate to keep the shaft and pulleys in alignment.

There are ways to change your wiring to 220 volts by changing the breaker and outlet. Starting amps will be a lot less.

YOu might want to consider a smaller sheave on the motor to increase the force on the blade at the expense of speed of travel.

My delta 14 with a 3/4 hp motor and a sharp blade will resaw 4-5 inch conventional woods at a reasonable speed. High density rosewoods are not a fast as walnut and do dull the blades much faster.

The problem may be dull blades or the need to tune the saw. Both of those options are less costly than a new motor followed by new blades and a tuneup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom