What is your opinion on this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Ok so yall have probably seen my wifes intro, and you all know we cant share just one lathe. I am wanting to start planning on getting another lathe but I think I would like to get a metal lathe. Here is one that I found on craigslist. I know nothing about a metal lathe so please tell me what you think as this will be a learning curve for us.

lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think I would hold out for something with a longer bed, variable speed and, gears. Might have to save up a little more money though.

hewunch

I think I would pass. The belts would be a deal breaker for me and the size isn't so great either.

sumterdad

Harbor freight + mechanical parts and a motor= a disaster and not much help from the manufacturer... pass

The lathe that I have now is a harbor freight wood lathe designed after the jet. I am very please with it to this point. So I would not hesitated on getting another one. I do know there are several here that have their metal lathe as well with no major problem.

bluwolf

Whoa big fella...

I'd think twice about passing on this. It might be one heck of a steal. I don't think this person really knows what they have. I'm pretty sure this is a 9x20 metal lathe. If so, that lathe sells new for $1300 + shipping.

Check out this link and look at the SKU#. Besides no 7x machine has a gear change handle on the front.

9" x 20" Geared Head, Belt Driven Benchtop Metal Lathe

Put it this way. For $300, if it runs and everything moves reasonably smooth, I'd take a chance on it. If you cleaned it up and didn't want it you could probably get more than you paid for it.

Fred or George, correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm pretty sure I'm not).

Mike

ironman123

Chris, I have the HF 5 speed 10X18 Wood Lathe, HF 9X20 Metal Lathe and HF 7X10 Metal Lathe and have had no probvlems with any. The 7X10 is really to short for making some pens.

That lathe looks exactly like my 9X20. Check the model or SKU number against HF site for sure. (45861 I think)

Ray

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chris, after reading Mike and Rays post, I took another look. At first I only saw "7 x 12" This could indeed be a good deal. My apologies. Might offer $150.00 see what happens from there.

sumterdad

I have contacted the poster. And the wife said husband wont be in town for a few days. She did give me overall measurement and I called hf and got the actual overall measurement and them seem.to match up pretty close. I am going to set up a time to meet and look at it. As of right now I am the only caller on it.

bluwolf

Chris,

In the meantime you should try to familiarize yourself with this manual.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g4000_m.pdf

Yes, it's the manual for the Grizzly 9x but they are essentially the same machine and Grizzly's manuals are much better. If nothing else learn the basic controls, how they work and what they do. Then, when you go to look at it, you can run it, move some levers and see if things actually work. The more you understand, the more you'll feel comfortable making a decision. If some things like the carriage, crosslide, or compound slide feel a little loose, they probably just need the gibs adjusted. But it might be the perfect time for a frown and a discussion of the price:wink:

Mike

Top Bottom