What is so special about Silmar 41?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

So, what is so special about Silmar 41? I never heard of it before looking into clear-casting. Why would I reach for that vs. any of the other products I have collecting dust on the shelf?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

What do you have sitting on the shelf??;)

Silmar has been the go to casting resin ever since I started on this forum in 2005. It is proven and works well. Does it yellow over time, yes just like every resin on the market. Does it matter? Not really because we thin our blanks down when turned and you can not really tell unless you do a side by side comparison over time. If casting colors then it does not matter at all if it yellows. Just on clear casting is when it shows up. It is my main go to casting resin. But it depends on what I am casting. If I am casting watch part pens or things of that nature then I switch to Liquid Diamonds epoxy casting resin. Again to me all epoxy resins are about the same. I go to that because epoxy will stick to anything and when doing watch parts you need resin that will not pull away from small parts and cause bubbles. Now you are getting into label casting and since I do not do any of that I will let others speak to it. But some resins react differently to CA and other top coatings on labels. Many threads on this here.

Kenny Durrant

I agree mostly with JT. Like he said it depends on what I'm casting. Silmar 41 is a brand of Polyester Resin. Just like Casting Craft at Hobby Lobby. It does well with CA but it shrinks while curing. Therefore it's not good for casting with wood to make hybrid blanks. It's also more brittle. You can play with the amount of MEPK to help with that but still more brittle than the other types of resin. It also has a high odor you have to deal with. I use it for my snakeskin blanks. All the others I use a urethane resin, Alumilite Clear Slow.

Cwalker935

I find Silmar 41 less expensive and convenient for certain purposes. It can be used without pressure and can be used with mica powders if you want to make your own colored blanks.

Top Bottom