Segmenting What if....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

You could buy a pen blank that was totally disguised. If all you knew was it was segmented somehow, but you would not find out the design until you turned it. Would you be inclined to buy it or walk away from it. My wife said if she were to see it she would probably buy it for me as a gift. The idea intrigues me. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not sure what you are asking. If you are a segmenter you pretty much know what a blank will look like when turned round as opposed to when built square. Now I would not buy anyone's segmented blank to begin with. I can admire them but that is what I do so why buy someone else's work?? Now I have bought Johnny U's feathers blanks because just something I can not do or have the time to learn but love his work. That is the only blanks that I can think off that was made by someone else that I bought.

Now if you are not a segmenter than you do not have that advantage of predetermine the outcome and I guess you would buy it. I am probably not the person to answer this question the more I think about it. But good luck.

dogcatcher

I won't mention the names, but there are some people that if they offered a blank for sale I might buy it sight unseen. An unknown person offering a blank, I am gambler, but I don't know about the odds on an unknown. If the price was right, and I was in the buying mood because of need, it could be a possibility I would just too see what it was, because curiosity is another of my downfalls.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ken, One guy here many years ago, used to drill a blank out with an oversized bit and then insert a very nice piece of bloodwood inside that. Then he carved (filed) through the outer wood into the bloodwood for beautiful designs. That is the one kind of "segment" I can picture in my mind that I could not see beforehand.

I do know that most people cannot envision what a Celtic know will look like when only seeing the square outside cuts. Scales, chevrons, herringbones and some others do not look - in a blank - what they look like in a pen. Is this what you are referring to?

Valleyboy

First I'd like to say I think your segmenting work is truly exceptional. The fact that you're trying to innovate and develop further in this area is what it's all about, so kudos for that.

If understand your idea correctly it would mean that as a pen maker I would receive, for example, a totally black blank that, as I turn it, reveals one of your intricate segmenting patterns.

It's a lovely idea. The only point I'd make is that whilst the turner would obviously get the benefit from your creative idea as it revealed itself, the end user would be none the wiser. Whether this matters or not I don't know.

Cheers
Ash

Alan Morrison

Hello Ken. You have some interesting responses to your question.
If I went into a wood turning store and was offered a ' lucky dip ' segmented blank or one painted black as Ash suggested I would not be interested.
However if it was made by someone whose work I really admired then I would be interested as it would be exciting to see the design gradually be revealed.
Alan

howsitwork

Ken

intriguing idea. Would I buy into a totally unknown " blue" blank ? Don't know .

It would depend upon my mood, the price , whether SWMBO has decided to treat me to something ( do I have enough "brownie points" to get away with it ?).

Now if said " blue blank" was made by someone who's work I admire I would certainly be more tempted as I would anticipate the result and the challenge presented by it.

It might be interesting to make , say a segmented portion and then cast opaque resin around that . You lose (potentially ) the positioning and proportions you normally control but gain the new challenge and sense of anticipation as you adapt to the challenges. Therein lies the thrill of discovery. I've seen resin tops matched to wooden stems very successfully by some on here but as IA sadi they had control at every stage to start from an unknown....

For someone as skilled as your self I can see that thrill of discovery might be very tempting and for your wife buying you such an intriguing gift would keep you entertained.

Don Rabchenuk

Great idea for someone just looking to turn something but as you know most people buy the blank or kit so they match. In this case you would have to turn it round before choosing your kit. I hope that makes sense.

MRDucks2

I would think if you sold blanks, it may be better used as a marketing gimmick. Buy 10 blanks and get one of the famous mystery blanks. Some people would buy the u known once for the fun of it and a smaller number may enjoy the adventure routinely but I believe the market would be rather limited. It may have some appeal for those who buy gifts for turners.

KenB259

I would think if you sold blanks, it may be better used as a marketing gimmick. Buy 10 blanks and get one of the famous mystery blanks. Some people would buy the u known once for the fun of it and a smaller number may enjoy the adventure routinely but I believe the market would be rather limited. It may have some appeal for those who buy gifts for turners.

That would be a great idea.

jttheclockman

One other factor to consider. Many times a segmented blank needs to be chucked up or centered just right to get the effect correctly positioned to look proper. Now if you have to turn the blank round sometimes it is hard to now find those center lines as opposed to when square. A good example is the celtic knot. I find it much easier for me to center the knot when square than if round. That may be just me but it is a thought. I say if you want to sell your segmented blanks just sell them outright. I am sure you can do very well. Get involved with a vendor such as Exotics or many others and do as many others have done here become a supplier. Your work would sell easily.

SteveJ

I think it would be a cool idea for a segmented blank swap - If done well the segmenter could show the center or predrill a small hole, recommend a kit and even provide guidance for where to cut in the case of a two part pen.

Dieseldoc

Like judging a book by it's cover, never know until you get into it. I would buy as for me I like to desover the unknown.

I would buy.
I think it would be a cool idea for a segmented blank swap - If done well the segmenter could show the center or predrill a small hole, recommend a kit and even provide guidance for where to cut in the case of a two part pen.
Steve: That sounds like a hoot, I'm all in!!!

KenB259

I like both ideas, would be very easy to put a center point on the blank.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

mick

Ken, keep this idea in mind until our next birthday bash. I think it would be great to have these as some of the prizes. A "mystery blank"designed by our master segmenters!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alchemist

I know it's an older thread,but I'll add this...

I have an 11 year old son, and with his collections of vinyl toys and such, the "blind bag" has become a part of life. While people are sorting out whether or not it was made by this person or that person, I know that it's not the blank you're selling, but the experience.

Also, I keep thinking of how you would disguise the the blank! [emoji3]

Personally, I would only make it more intriguing by dipping the blank in a dark wax or epoxy to completely hide the blank.

This, for me, is something I could get into, just because of the experience.

After all, isn't that part of the reason most people get into making pens (or anything)?

Top Bottom