Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Jet Mini with VS.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc53

Hi Folks,

While I’m still waiting to view my video and get started [it’s still in the US] I’m in an information download mode, hence I would like to ask you 2 questions to get your feed back as I’m leaning toward getting a Jet Mini.

[1] What else do you turn on your Jet Mini besides pens/pencils etc.?

[2] Which Jet do you find is better and why?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Tony, I use the manual version of the Jet mini lathe. I had a cheap "vs" lathe a while ago which kept breaking down, that put me off "vs" as that was the problem.

I have not done any yet, but I have everything purchased to enable me to turn bottle stoppers. It takes me all my time to make a pen let alone a stopper!! LOL [:p][:)]

dubdrvrkev

I have the non VS, I say save the money until you upgrade to larger lathe. I have turned up to 8" diameter walnut bowl and 8" wet mesquite bowl on my mini. I have only bogged it down a few times but that was taking good cuts on bowls. VS is nice but if you are doing pens mostly you don't change speed very often. Most all the turning can be done at the same rpm, I sand a little slower than I turn and apply CA about the same but I buff as fast as she'll go.
It only takes a minute to change speeds anyway, and your motor won't mind the break.
IMHO the mini is a bit small to turn plates/platters, and without a bed extension a bit short to do lamps. I found with using a Jacobs chuck and forstner bit to pilot drill a vase that you can only get about a 6" long piece on there before you run out of bed. You might be able to get a bit more since my MT adapter is about an inch too long.

All that said, even when I get my big boy lathe my mini will still have a home in my shop, just not center stage.

vick

I have turned bowls, bottle stoppers, tool handles (for files, and turning tools I have made). That is about it mostly just pens.

mrcook4570

Primarily pens, but also game calls, bottle stoppers, candlestick holders, clocks, small bowls, platters, key rings, ornaments...I'm game for anything [:p]

Randy_

I have made a pepper grinder and a couple of small wooden mallets to "encourage" stuff to do what I want it to. Made some wooden adapters to to put castyers on a bed that didn't come with them and a couple of screwdriver handles.

Tonyc53

Hi Rudy & others,

I meant no disrespect to other lathe owners, I new at this and I'm trying to get some feed back from those who have experience with the Jet Mini.

Now since you don't have an opinon to offer on the Jet, I don't mind if you would share your views on the lathe you do have, in comparison to any that you've used in the pass.

Travlr7

Evening Tony:

Everything I turn is on a Jet Mini or clone. That is bowls, boxes, Kaleidescopes, pens, Duck Calls, Vases, Candle Holders, Etc. The only limitations are:
10" Diameter, and 14" length. Other than that, use your imagination as what to make.

Mine Jet is Not variable Speed, but my clone is. If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would opt for the VS.

Hope this helps.

Bruce[;)]

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Tonyc53
<br />Hi Rudy & others,

I meant no disrespect to other lathe owners, I new at this and I'm trying to get some feed back from those who have experience with the Jet Mini.

Now since you don't have an opinon to offer on the Jet, I don't mind if you would share your views on the lathe you do have, in comparison to any that you've used in the pass.

I started with a Delta Midi, about the same as the Jet Mini, then upgraded to a Mercury with VS and now own a Oneway 1224 since early this year. This will be my last lathe.... I turn mainly pens, but have turned quite a number of bowls lately as well as some real nice pepper mills with the new ceramic grinding mechanism to be had from either CSUSA or PSI. When I answered your post earlier I was just a smart ass!! Not meant to be offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom