What caused the milky spot???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Trying my hand at casting some origami paper blanks and several of them showed a milky area right after I cast them. I wanted something a little different so I applied copper leaf to the tube first then glued the paper on top of the leaf with Mod Podge. After the paper dried the paper was seales=d with the leaf sealer and allowed to dry about a week before I cast them in Silmar 41. So what may have caused the milky spot? Could I have possibly gotten a minute amount of water in the resin while pouring? Could something else have caused this?
I had two separate blanks do this and both had the spot on an end of the blank.

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 337
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

I have cast hundreds of blanks with both alumilite and silmar, and had a variety of failures but not that one! I did have problems with modge podge separating, but have not seen the milky look.

Kenny Durrant

I would say it might be moisture. If it was separation I don't think it would look milky but glassy. I can't say that's exactly what it is but based on what you say it looks like and the problems I've had that would be my guess.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
What's peculiar is I cast 7 blanks at the same time, 3 in a Jr Gent mold and 4 in a Clicker mold. The clickers came out perfect but all 3 of the Jr's had this milky spot to some extent.

TonyL

My friend and fellow caster has experienced this. I forget what he discovered causes it, but apparently got it licked. I am about to start this aspect of the hobby, but have get to try it. Maybe, Stuart will respond. He is not as active on the site as I am, but I will ask him and report back.

Akula

I used to use Mod Podge and had some failures but it was because I didn't let it dry out enough. Did close to your issue but not as bad. Mine was random on the blank. Now I put them to the side a few days to be sure. I don't do them as much now and mine were stamps

I think when I see the ends, water (liquid) is getting in somehow..how and why I don't know. Bushing sweating?

bruce119

I had problems with Mod Podge I use it to glue on labels but use CA to coat & seal the blanks before casting...Looks like moisture got in there somehow and wetted the Mod Podge??? maybe the heat from curing released something???

Mod Podge after all is just a water based white Elmers glue...

rth

I have a similar problem while casting postage stamp blanks in PR. First few were fine but the last two had milky spots on the end. Didn`t notice them until finished turning and sanding.Thought it might be because I wet sanded but on the last one I used no water.Still had the spots though not as bad.I glue the stamps to the tube with Aleen`s craft glue then seal with Mod Podge.

Top Bottom