Wet sanding?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

anstranger

Okay I'm starting to get just a little aggravated with some of my finishes. People keep saying wet sand but the question I have is how much water/liquid to use how fast to apply it, etc? I am used to sanding metal where you can basically flow the water on but don't like the idea on a spinning part on a lathe. It will be slinging it all over then. Can someone give me some idea?

Regards,
Anstranger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Boyd

I turn my lathe to its lowest speed (500) and give the piece a spritz with a squirt bottle of water. If I am using a thinner then I soak a part of a rag and hold it to one side and sand on the other.

skewzdust

I turn with low speed, hold a wet rag in my left hand above and sandpaper in right hand below pen. The rag keeps the pen wet without allowing water to sling all over. The rag also absorbs the sanding slurry. When I change grits I move to a clean part of the rag.

If your lathe does not go 500 rpms or below don't wet sand, otherwise use the slowest speed on your lathe.

DON"T USE WATER!!!!!

I use danish oil whenever I wet sand, some here will use minerial spirits.

Bits of the sandpaper grit will break off and will be imbedded in the slurry. You will need to remove the slurry with MS before moving up to the next finer grit.

Czarcastic

I wet sand with Mineral Spirits rather than water. I'm not fond of the idea of putting water on freshly sanded wood blanks all the time, as it swells wood fibers, can take quite some time to dry, and often leaves residual moisture in the wood which can ruin a finish. Mineral spirits evaporates quickly, won't swell wood fibers, won't harm your sandpaper (or MM) backing, and well... its MADE for that purpose.
I use the same "sandwhich" method described by Skewsdust, but typically sand at a higher speed (about 1750RPM). The rag with MS is only DAMPENED, not soaked, and there is no "slinging".

This also has the advantage of adding life to your sandpaper, as this method practically eliminates clogging.

alamocdc

It's just me, but I don't wet sand wood either. I tried once w/mineral spirits and once w/BLO and didn't like the process of either. I do use MM and love it. Synthetics are another story. I wet sand them all with water and I usually can start right at MM. I'm fortunate enough to have a sink in my shop and wet what ever I'm sanding with liberally right there. Works great for me.

anstranger

I used the suggestions you guys gave mainly the MS and two hands. It seemed to do better on the one I tried. Now to practice with filling with the CA and then wet sand again. Busy working 12 hour shifts at work so don't have much time left to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom