Wet sand BLO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

While sanding a walnut pen I was getting exazperated with the dust filling the "checks".
At about 400 grit I wiped it down with BLO not so much to "pop the grain"actually I don't know why I did it.
I continued to sand leaving the slurry on as I progressed through the MM.
When I got to #9 (I number my mm 1-9)the gloss on the walnut was gorgeous!
I have used mineral spirits to wet sand but have found out that it "cleans" the wood rather than fill it.
Is BLO as grain filler customary?
I know BLO is used for a finish on garden tools,It seems as it gets heated it hardens also.
Is it ever used as a finish?
I continued to finish with CA as the pen was needed to fill an order.
What a shine!

Chips n dust

Going on the premise that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

What does BLO stand for? Why would you finish with CA?

G

Boiled Linseed oil
The CA finish when done correctly.Is Hard,durable, shiny and gives wood a "depth of grain" that is hard to describe until you've seen it.
It is a matter of personal choice.
On many of the pens I finish,personally I would use a "natural finish" and let my own body oils continue the finishing as an ongoing process.Much like wood developing a patina over time.
In marketing pens I have found that prospective buyers are much like fish,they like shiny objects.
Look at the furniture in youre home. Do you prefer a high gloss polished to perfection?
I tried crystal coat and while it looks good right after applying it looses it's shine quickly.
I doubt most customers would bother to polish the shiny pen that cost more than the $3.95 Wal mart special.
For me the CA meatod is an ongoing learning process but when I look at the finished pen I still cannot believe sometimes that I made that!
With a corn cob pen,it;s is the only finish I have found that makes the instrument durable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom