Well, Just a ole fart in TENNESSEE that loves pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tilt

Hello, just found your site. I'm a retired 65 year old with Multiple Sclerosis. So turning pens keeps me busy. So far I'm at 2000+
and don't plan to stop till I just can't do it anymore. Glad to have found you guys and hope to get some help and tips from
y'all. Will post a slimline that I made along with a pen I turned from a steel rod I got from lowes. Thanks for having me.

Attachments

• 20200106_213558.jpg
    20200106_213558.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Welcome to the forum Sam !

2000+ pens... WOW !!!

I'll be asking you for tips & help more than likely.

You'll like it here..lots of great people.

Russ

Tilt

2000+ seems a lot, but. But in the early nineties I noticed the man I worked for had a nice wooden pen and I asked him where he got it. I was working part time at a Woodworking store and the owners, Jim and Gloria, were the best Christens that I ever met. They were able to get Cindy and I back in church. anyway, Well, he said he made it. I said, Jim what does it take to make those. Jim replied "Sam, before you do this, I have to tell you it's addicting." I thought, yeah right. It's only a pen. Boy was I wrong. I got everything at that time to do pens. I found Berea, Craft supplies, Hut, Pen state and whoever else was out there. I was hooked. Went to every craft show I could find around my area. Noticed some fine pens and talked with the other turners. Learned the lesson of patience. Got good tools other than the ones that came with the lathe. Got the Tormec and kept
my tools sharp. But the most important lesson I learned was taking the time in sanding and finishing. After a while I actually had people asking if I would be back. Not swelling my head or patting my back, but taking time to sand it down and finish it well makes all the difference. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks again for letting me on and all the greetings. I hope to learn from you guys and if ever I can be of help.
...sam

Tilt

Hi Sam !! . Welcome to IAP !!

What kit did you use for that steel pen ?

If I remember right, I think I got it from Penn State and it's been discontinued. I mostly display certain pens I have. I have 2 of them.
They take the Hauser refill and if you would like I will donate one to the contest your having.

Woodchipper

Welcome. I would like to be 65 again. I live on the other end of TN. Your use of the steel rod is interesting. I'm now pondering brass or aluminum.

howsitwork

Love the concept! That's the benefit of this site learning and sharing experiences with others . Let's just keep the farts to ourselves though !

Tilt

[QUOTE="Woodchipper, post: 2057970, member: 33621"
Welcome. I would like to be 65 again. I live on the other end of TN. Your use of the steel rod is interesting. I'm now pondering brass or aluminum.
[/QUOTE]

i've got 2 in aluminum, they turned rather easy but lack the luster of wood. The steel have a better look than the aluminum and a LOT heavier.
Not a shirt pocket pen. I think brass would be my choice. I turned the steel on my Jet mini lathe using some good files till I got close to the bushings, the rough sandpaper and a LOT of wet sanding. I would place towels on the lathe bed so water would not get through and change them ever so often. That's why I've kept them so long. I couldn't get paid enough to let one go. I would only give it as a gift.

Top Bottom