Well, I learned something

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Scott

It seems that everytime I thing I have "arrived" ;) with respect to penturning, I learn something new by accident (or by God's grace more likely).

I have been trying to knock out several orders and some "speculation pens" to sell at work and thanks to Mannie and others that post here I have to use a CA finish now. Yes, I do go with friction polish every now and then, but I am hooked on the durability and gloss of the CA.

Anyways, I would always turn the blank down, sand to 12MM and then start with the CA, thin to thick. I wouldn't count the number of coats I put on I would just go until I felt it was thick enough then I'd start with 1500 and wet sand through 12MM.

It seemed like I would always cut through to the wood in spots and I'd have to build up the layers again. Each pen was taking over 1.5 hours just to finish. I was beginning to think about going back to the "dull side" [V]

Well, I had just finished turning a nice spalted pecan blank that I had stablized with Miniwax Wood Hardner, however, since I used a gouge on it and not a skew my blank was a little rough. I thought, I'll just do a thin CA soak and clean it up with the skew. I put two applications of thin CA and then one of thick and starting sanding before I realized that I hadn't smoothed it out with the tools. Oh well, I proceeded through to 2000. I then put 4 or 5 coats of thick CA on with the plain jane cheapest paper towel money can buy from Wally World and then began wet sanding with 1500.

What happened? I couldn't BELIEVE it :D I didn't cut through the CA! I went all the way through to 12MM and then finished with Gel Gloss and viola! a perfect finish in about 20 minutes!

I did 3 more pens the same way with the same results.

All that just to say I learned something new!

I'll post about the Miniwax product later.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

You mean, you just covered the blank that you turned with a gouge with CA?

You may have a good finish but I don't know if I'll like the look of the rough wood inside.

I tried Minwax hardener and learned that it is enough to help avoid blow out...but not enough to be finished well. Adding CA before final cut and again before sanding does help a lot.

C. Scott

Hi John,

You should be able to Gel Gloss at Home Depot or Lowes. Just to make sure, Gel Gloss is plastic/arcrylic polish and not a finish. It has a VERY mild abrasive in a petroleum distillate media. There is also some sort of polymer wax type substance in Gel Gloss.

I apply it with a paper towel and rub it in until it's slick and clear.

Hope this helps.

C. Scott

Hi Dario,

Yes I apply thin CA the turned blank (2 or 3 coats and then I sand smooth with 220 or 400. One who is skilled with a skew, could have smoothed with that, I just used the sandpaper instead. Then I start building the CA again. Hope this makes sense.

PenTurnerJohn

Chris,

1. Thanks for this info on the gel gloss. I'll go to the Depot today and see if they carry it here locally.

2. I believe I'm hearing you say this gloss is the final coating you apply to your pens - nothing else on top of the gloss.

3. Does the gel gloss also work on top of other non-CA finishes?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom