Waterlox

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

simplepens

I had the pleasure of a class with Norm Rose today at Woodcraft. When I asked him his finish of choice, he told me Waterlox...a marine finish. Have any of you used it? The sample piece I seen with this finish was stunning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't use the marine version, but have often used the original formula. It produces a beautiful, low-lustre finish that will last virtually forever. The only downside is it takes a long time to cure.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Lou,
When you put multiple coats of Waterlox on a pen, do you apply it with the lathe turning? Also, do you sand between coats. I remember that it is advised to place coats once a day. Does this sound like a request for a mini-tutorial? Thanks for the above link.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've been rubbing the Waterlox in while turning by hand. Russ mentioned dipping and I intend to try that in the next month or so. I've found that one coat per night is too quick. I generally only apply 2-3 coats per week. I usually run a light pass of MM4000 between coats for good adhesion. After 3-4 weeks, I let the blanks sit for at least a week before buffing lightly. I wait at least another week before final buffing and assembly. Needless to say, I only do this on a couple of pens per month. I can be patient about finishing, but 4-6 weeks is at the outside for me. [8D]

I use Waterlox Finish/Sealer, great stuff. When I use it on pens I apply the oil while it is still on the lathe (turned off) and pad on as much oil as it would take. I let it sit for a few moments, then crank up the speed and burnish the wood with a papper towel. I apply enough pressure until I see a little smoke then I stop. I wait a week or so to polish the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom