Watchmakers Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Does anyone have experience with a watchmakers/jewelers lathe? I have a line on one and didn't want to spend the cash if it wouldn't turn a pen. The size is great and the workability also seems like a perk. I am not planning on turning anything but pens and pen components so that isn't a factor in my decision.

Advise????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

handplane

It depends on the type you are looking at. Some of them would work better than others. Most that I looked at were very accurate. They did not have a lot of power though. If only used for pens this could work with light cuts. If using a cross slide with a tool holder it would probably be great.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
What Brand? As stated by Handplane they lack enough power to turn much more than they were intended for.

I am looking at a Moseley or Boley. These are older lathes in great condition. The motor is mounted seperately. The Moseley has 1/2 HP and the other (I believe) is the same if not a 3/4. The motors can be replaced, but are currently working just fine.

TomW

Most dont have tailstock, and very small through hole in headstock. I'd prefer a woodworking lathe.

TheRealSmith

you could use it to turn pens...(you would need a longer tool rest) also it is very small but the motors can be upgraded. I know a guy in NYC that deals with parts for them if you get it let me know and I will find his number and web address.

Dan
Burlieve it or Knot

Most dont have tailstock, and very small through hole in headstock. I'd prefer a woodworking lathe.

These both have tailstocks and indexing slides (some collets too). I am one of those that likes to turn one pen barrell at a time so I think the tool rest will be sufficient. I am hoping to make small metal components that I can't currently make on my wood lathe.

jbmauser

I turned my first pen on a Unimat lathe. It worked out well but it was not great. I moved up to Craftsman lathe. I don't know how much the lathe you are looking at will run you but if the price is close to a Sherline or Tiag I would go for one of those. With them you could turn your own bushings, pin mandrels etc. One last comment, small is handy but not comfortable working, sanding, finishing. A little room is nice. Best of luck, JB

dogcatcher

I have one that I play with, the only drawback is it doesn't have a live center. You can make a pen or anything else that will fit between the centers. The live center issue can be fixed, but I never saw a need for spending the time or money to make one. Easy to load up and take to our cabin to try out ideas.

Would I want to make all of my pens and calls on it? No way, I prefer a big 300 pound piece of cast iron.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
1/2 and 3/4 will do fine for turning pens and pen parts. Variable speed pulleys? I only turn one tube at a time center to center also. Price? taigs are about 450.00 Sherline more but you can get good deals off Ebay. Mike

Top Bottom