Washington DC...which state???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

As most of you probably know now, I am an immigrant and one thing that puzzles me is....what state is Washington DC under/at? It looks like it is within Maryland boundaries but sounds like it is "independent". It is not a separate State right??? or is it???

I am confused. [B)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

loglugger

Don’t know for sure but I think it is a territory Of the U.S.A. I have an excuses, I’ve been out of school for over 48 years.
Bob

I was wrong it is a commonwealth not a territory.
William has the best answer.
Bob

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The D.C. stands for "District of Columbia".It is a district not part of any state.(And I bet you thought D.C. stood for Bluesman[:D])

woodmarc

Washinton DC was designed by the founding father to be a seperate political and economic entity from the rest of the state in the union. It was their goal to make sure that the nations capital was seperate from the states, there by further dividing the seats of power.
If I remember my history right...

Another note about D.C. it was designed to be the most impressive capital in the world. To humble dignitaries from europe when they came to visit.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Dario - I believe I can shed a bit more light on this since I was not born in a state, but in Washington, District of Columbia.

Washington was set up according to Article 1 Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution to be a Federal District, governed by Congress. It was to be no larger than 10 miles square (100 square miles). The site was a compromise between the norther and southern states.

The land was ceded from the states of Maryland and Virginia and in it's initial configuration it formed a diamond shape through which the Potomac (ne Potowmack) River flowed. It was initially compromised of three cities or towns, depending on whose version of history you read. They were Georgetown, D.C., Washington, D.C. and Alexandria, D.C. In the aggregate, George Washington deemed that they would be referred to as the Federal City. With the exception of a few years in the 1870's, Congress ran all aspects of the government until 1968

In 1846, Congress gave Alexandria, D.C. back to Virginia, so all land south of the Potomac River now belongs to Virginia.

The 23rd amendment (1961) gave Washington the right to vote for electors for Presidential elections. It has 3 Electoral votes, representing "no more than the number of electoral votes that the least entitled state has. In 1973 Congress passed a law ceding some of its power over the district to local residents, thus creating "home rule". The current head of the Washington DC is the Mayor, Anthony A. Williams who is not running for re-election this year. He shares responsibility with the D.C. Board of Control, which is managed by Congress. An amendment to the Constitution was floated to the states in 1978 which would have given D.C. the same right to Senators, Congressmen (and women) and electoral votes as the states. The time for passing the amendment passed without enough states to ratify the amendment. By Law, Congress established 2 non-voting members of the House of Representatives for Washington, D.C.

I hope this clears things up. [8D]

DocStram

Hey Dario .... the next time you're going to Washington, make certain you're getting on the right plane. Although, I would much rather be in the State rather than the District. No offense to your birthplace, Lou.

loglugger

· American Samoa, Guam, and the Virgin Islands are all territories of the United States. Washington, D.C. and the Northern Mariana Islands are commonwealths. Puerto Rico was once a territory, but is now a commonwealth.
· Territories and commonwealths are partially self-governing areas that have not been granted statehood. The indigenous peoples of these areas are citizens of the United States.
· These areas may have one non-voting delegate in the House of Representatives

Dario,
Here is something to confuse you a little more.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom