WARNING - after turning antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
espically if there are fire ants in your area. I turned an antler pen about a week ago. Didn't get to do anything last weekend due to a bad back. Went out to the shop to turn some pens this morning and had fire ants in the sawdust under the lathe and on the lathe. I can only assume they are after the antler shavings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Monty,

Thanks for the heads up...though it will probably not affect me much since I always vacuum/clean up (with the DC) after each session [;)]. Now, I will have to be more careful after turning antler...which I have yet to try.

Yarael

Wow just realized now that I moved back to Lubbock I no longer have to deal with fire ants. Get some amdro or how ever it is spelled and put around the outside of your shop. Should help to keep them out. Just dont forget to re apply it every couple of weeks to kill the fire ants

jwoodwright

Kyle, we had Plenty of Fire Ants at Reese AFB, outside Lubbock. That Oily, Cornmeal looking Poison did the job. You get Disposable Plastic Gloves as this stuff was Seriously Toxic. Had a 6Ft Bald patch and the next day after the Poison, No sign of them...[:I]

Yarael

Wow Reese that had to be a LONG time ago. Havent seen any fire ants up here in Lubbock that I know of. Just the Texas size Red Ants that dont hurt/itch half as bad as fireants do.

tnilmerl

Amdro is the corn meal type. It is a bait, so you have to wait for the ants to carry it back to the mound. If you can still find it, Orthene is the stuff that will kill off quicker. But its pretty nasty stuff. Its like a white talcum and stinks to the high heaven. I usually mix it into a sprayer and spray down all my foliage to keep the ants off (and any other critter) and drench the mound. But, if you (AND YOUR NEIGHBORS) stay on top of the situation, you should not have to worry too much. Otherwise, they just move back and forth across the yards.

I guess Lubbock hasn't had a really good cold spell for a few years to kill the little beasties off. Was nice and cool (102) when I was there a few weeks ago.[8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
This is the first I have heaqqrd of that.
I have been turning antler for 2 years and don't sweep up all that much.
Never had a fire ant problem in the shop.
The visiting neighbor dogs occasionally "Steal" a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom