Wanted: PHD Vise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NeonWoodShop

Does anyone have a PH Design (aka Paul Huffman) vise that you are willing to part with? Plenty of members are drilling on the lathe, so surely someone has a Huffman vise just collecting dust, right?

Shoot me a PM with details and asking price. Specifics are appreciated - plain or anodized, which handle style, base or not, etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I have an early production model non-anodized I would like to sell No base. Just screw it yo s piece of plywood. Can send pics later if interested.

NeonWoodShop

Thanks Sharon! I appreciate the help.
I need a vise to hold pepper mill size blanks and unfortunately the Peachtree and similar vises only hold blanks up to 1.5".

hooked

If you don't find the Side-Vise, maybe a standard drill press vice that you might already have with pen jaw inserts from PSI would work for you.

NeonWoodShop

Thanks for the idea, Mark! I hadn't seen the jaws for a drill press vise before.

I drill most of my blanks in a drill press vise and that works well - the holes are centered, etc., especially since I only turn items for family and friends, so adjusting the setup for each blank hasn't been a big deal. I made a bunch of Christmas ornaments in December using the Woodcraft acrylic grab bag and adjusting each time for numerous blanks was much more time consuming than I expected (or wanted).

The Huffman vise will alleviate a lot of the fiddly adjustments when drilling blanks, so I can focus on improving my turning skills.

sbwertz

If you don't find the Side-Vise, maybe a standard drill press vice that you might already have with pen jaw inserts from PSI would work for you.

That is what I used before I got my PHD vise.

egnald

If I didn't already have a drill press vice for pens that I like and use, here is what I would do:

I would buy a NOVA G3 Companion Chuck (comes with no jaws) with a 1" x 8TPI Insert (because that is what my lathe uses). I get my NOVA stuff from Woodworker Specialties BC, Canada ($130 USD) along with a set of NOVA 6034 Pen Plus Jaws ($48 USD). I would also buy a 4-inch Faceplate from PSI ($18) to use as a mounting flange and ask Rick Herrell make a 1" x 8TPI piece of threaded rod so I could connect the NOVA chuck to the Faceplate. This would let me use my NOVA Chuck with Pen Jaws as a self centering vise clamped to my drill press.

I know it would be kind of expensive - around $200 - $220, but it would get me what I am after, a very high quality self centering drill press vise for pen blanks that I could also use on my late if I needed to - for drilling blanks deeper than the quill travel on my drill press for example.

Dave

IMG_4224.JPG

Top Bottom