walnut pepper mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Here is the last of a walnut branch I got at my local wood turning meeting for a buck. It is now a 10" pepper mill. danish oil and buffed.

20084225224_Copy%20of%20walnut%20grinder.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by Johnathan

great job!I like the shape. Have you tried the crush mechanism?
No, I havent. This is only the third one I've made as I bought the mech's while on sale. Have you tried them and are they as good? I know from reading threads that they have no knob on top and leave you with more room for expression.

Johnathan

Originally posted by oobak

Originally posted by Johnathan

great job!I like the shape. Have you tried the crush mechanism?
No, I havent. This is only the third one I've made as I bought the mech's while on sale. Have you tried them and are they as good? I know from reading threads that they have no knob on top and leave you with more room for expression.

Yes, they are really nice. A little more difficult but lots more room to have fun.

Grizz

Banned
Very nice! I'd like to try a few of those before my big show in July. Was it hard to do?

Originally posted by Grizz

Very nice! I'd like to try a few of those before my big show in July. Was it hard to do?
NOt really after I got to this third one. I invested in a set of forstner bits and an extension, after drilling my first one on the drill press I found it much easier to do so on the lathe. I got it down near two hours, now.
Email me if you have any questions. BTW, I sold my second one in a day for $50.00. This one and all future mills will be $75.00 and up.

Hi Glenn,
Great job on the PM.. I've done a good number of them over the last year or so... my preference is the crush/grind since I tend to be a little measurement challenged. I like the shape and finish of the walnut.

I never tried to drill one on my DP, but then my DP is a little desk top from HF and doesn't have much power anyway. I was drilling on my little Jet 1014, but screwed up two tailstock quill screws in the process. I now have a Jet 1442 that's a little heavier built and I've taken to drilling in steps so I don't put so much pressure on the quill lead screw.

I belong to the Detroit Area Woodturners. We meet at the Shadbush Nature Center at 21/ Ryan. We are 130 strong, outgrowing our existing site as there is standing room only on many occasion. It is about the same traveling time for me and I was attracted to the mentoring program as I was researching the clubs. I hear many good things from Blue water and many members attend both groups meetings.

Top Bottom