Visiting DC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Makereality

Hello stateside DC area turners. My name is Layne and I will be coming stateside for a medical Conference in DC on 1-5 March. Is there a display or store or meeting in DC that I shouldn't miss? There are not many turners in Germany so there are not stores nor many other craftsmen to visit, any intel would be helpful, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

MDWine

I live in Virginia, and avoid DC if at all possible! lol, sorry...
I am not aware of any woodworking stores "in" DC, but there is a Woodcraft store in Springfield. That'll be a little bit of a hike from DC, but if you have a car and a GPS (phone), it is not difficult. It's a pretty good store, given that there is nothing much around. I did a Google, but nothing really significant found inside DC.

I'd offer a meet-up, but wifey has a scheduled event and I'll be stuck for the day on the 2nd. If that breaks loose, I'll let you know.

You might want to "turn" your attentions to the sights of DC.. monuments and museums and such are a big thing.

Makereality

Thanks, sounds like solid advise. I'll settle for collecting pieces of wood at monuments and making them into my collection of travel pens. I used to live in Ashburn near leesburg and drive Harry bird (highway 6) to DC every day, I'm with you about the city, it got crazy at Tyson's corner each morning, but that was 20 years ago before I had even heard about a rollerball so I don't remember anything useful! Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

hokie

Woodcraft is fine for the hardware and tools, but if you're looking for turning material and you have a rental car/transport, you owe it to yourself to take a trip to Exotic Lumber in Annapolis (right before the bay bridge). It is my heaven on earth for nearly every kind of wood species available. Reasonable prices (considering the quality, it's relative) and variety like none other.

Closer to DC, you could visit Vienna Hardwoods. The place is a disaster zone in the sense that wood is piled high and not super organized or particularly pristine, but they have a ton of wood, VERY cheap, and even a dozen or so varieties of turning blanks.

If I recall correctly, the Woodcraft in Rockville has a large selection of acrylic blanks. Seems like they partner with local suppliers more than other Woodcraft locations.

Top Bottom