Virtual Chapter Meeting for Tri-State Chapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Would you be interested in a voice chat Virtual Chapter Meeting?

• Yes, on weeknight

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Yes, on Saturday morning or afternoon

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Yes, on Saturday evening

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, on Sunday afternoon

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Yes, on Sunday evening

• Yes, Interested but no day or time preference

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No, Not Interested

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

randyrls

I am trying to organize a Virtual Chapter Meeting for the Tri-State Chapter.

Ventrilo voice chat is the software used. You would need to install the client piece on your machine. You need a microphone and speakers (headset type mic with earpiece is recommended). There are versions for most Windows OS, and Mac OS 10.4 and later, and several flavors of Linux.

The question is are you interested?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I just want to say that is an awesome idea. My wife and I use Vent for our online gaming. Very easy to use and set up.

Rob; I am testing the Voice chat software. It is set up and operational now.

I will send you a PM with the setup info. I will try to be on tonight (Thursday) at about 9:00pm Eastern Daylight Time.

rjwolfe3

Lol I only got one person to comment when I asked over in the Ohio local chapter. I really think it is too new of technology for some of these guys to know about.

Craftdiggity

There have been only 6 votes on this poll. I know there are many more penturners in the Tri-State area.:)

I guess I am wondering what the purpose is. I've been in turning clubs and meeting in person was great because we could show and tell our turnings, do demos, swap and sell, etc. The voice chat thing limits us to talking only. What would we talk about that couldn't be discussed in this forum? This is not to discourage the idea, but I don't feel like getting everyone in the area on a chat line and then have it turn into a free-for-all.

randyrls

I guess I am wondering what the purpose is.

Chris; I'm trying to start interest in meetings, but in a previous poll people said they would only drive 25 miles to a meeting. That isn't enough distance to cover our group. I've given serious thought to splitting the chapter into several parts. While posted messages are fine, it's rather slow. I had thought that the next best thing is a virtual meeting using voice chat software. Most computers have speakers and a microphone. I considered using Skype, but most people do not have a web or video camera.

rjwolfe3

Randy I thought of a great idea for the use of a demo with Vent. Whoever is doing the demo could possible make a video and post it on You Tube. Or even a pdf with lots of photos. Then before your virtual meeting, have everyone watch it, then ask questions to the demonstrator on Vent. The video would be cool because then they have to something to go back to in the future rather then try to remember what was said at a meeting and then it could be added to the video library here at IAP. Just a thought!

randyrls

Randy I thought of a great idea for the use of a demo with Vent. Whoever is doing the demo could possible make a video and post it on You Tube. Or even a pdf with lots of photos. Then before your virtual meeting, have everyone watch it, then ask questions to the demonstrator on Vent. The video would be cool because then they have to something to go back to in the future rather then try to remember what was said at a meeting and then it could be added to the video library here at IAP. Just a thought!

Those are all GREAT IDEAS! The Ventrilo voice chat can be recorded.

RyanNJ

skype would be awesome because someone could use a webcam to show what they are doing and if they are having problems with a technique others could help.

the youtube is also a good idea

SonOfMartin

I like the idea of a demo on youtube and ALSO a pdf of the steps, hints, etc.

You're onto something with the virtual meetings. Hold them like a regular on-site club meeting but have something to show or demo and this could really take off!

turner.curtis

I like the idea. Would be more interested if there was an actual live demo happening though maybe via something like Adobe Connect with a laptop and webcam from the comfort of your own shop.

Top Bottom