Violet Rosewood Jr. George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JonathanF1968

JonathanF1968

It's been a few months since I made a pen, but now that the weather has turned, I'm going back to it. (I didn't want to say "returning.") I was recently in Brazil for work and met up with a luthier, who kindly gave me a scrap bit of violet rosewood, which he said was legal to transport. So, I'll make a few pens out of it and give them to my various colleagues who were involved in our work down there. This is my first foray into the Junior series, with a Jr. George kit from Exotic Blanks. Haven't written with it yet, but I like the simplicity of the hardware. The photo makes it look more bulbous than it really is, but I think it is likely a little too curvy, still. Also, the original wood was purpler than this; I wonder if it will repurple as it ages. (I hope so.) It's nice wood to turn, though drilling the 12.5 hole in it was a bit of a challenge.

IMG_3143.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Jonathan, that is a beautiful pen!

I understand your comments on the "curves," but I will humbly disagree. Based on the pictures, the slight curve in each section is very subtle and appealing (IMO).

The blank itself is very nicely figured, and your fit and finish looks excellent.

Side story: My wife had a business trip to a chemical plant in Brazil 2 years ago (before she retired). She asked me for some pens with local woods to give away. I made a few, all went well, and the obvious happened - "higher-ups" noticed and asked for some (no problem actually). I made extras, but the collaboration was cancelled.

IF, you have any need for Brazilian woods for future gifts, please PM me!

I have an abundance of Brazilian Rosewood; Monkeypod; Brazilian Tulipwood as well as Bolivian Rosewood, and others. Just a thought for you to consider.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 170

JonathanF1968

Thanks Mark! That's a really gorgeous collection of pens you posted. Such beautiful wood and craftsmanship.

Someone should take you up on your offer for that wood. My interest in pen making is specifically about using wood that has sentimental value, so that specific board from that guy (with whom we shared some adventures) is the draw for me. Which is actually a detriment to my pen-making because I could find nicer wood if I would actually buy or collect it for its own sake, rather than the story aspect of it! Sometimes, I do, but usually I don't. I make a lot of pens out of a limb from an apple tree that I planted in 2001, for example. That sort of thing.

In this photos, that's me holding the wood, to the right of the luthier who gave it to me. A master craftsman who is one of the most respected guitar-makers in Brazil.

69645206_10156568336292361_4164035213686472704_n.jpg

magpens

That is a very lovely pen, Jonathan !!!

I like it a lot and I find the "curvaceousness" to be "Just Right".

Keep up the nice work !!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I do understand Jonathon. In your picture, I am drawn to the upper left corner - the guitar necks on racks. It is so easy to forget that sometimes things are not mass-produced, fine craftsmanship still is available, and hand-made objects can be found. Very nice. As much as I can, I support local artisians - wherever they may be!

Top Bottom