Very frustrated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paulbt1975

Ok, so I have had I blank glued up for about a week with epoxy. I go to use the barrel trimmer in my drill press and the barrel gets stuck to the barrel trimmer! This happens quite a bit. I just can't think what would be causing it, I have noticed that the teeth of the trimmer dig into the material. Could I possibly be putting too much pressure on it? I enjoy turning but get upset when I run into problems. Just glad my temper isn't as bad as other family members šŸ¤£ on a side note I turned a pen for myself using Alumilite (last week) and that one cracked again! I know keep trying.

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 94
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Ok, so I have had I blank glued up for about a week with epoxy. I go to use the barrel trimmer in my drill press and the barrel gets stuck to the barrel trimmer! This happens quite a bit. I just can't think what would be causing it, I have noticed that the teeth of the trimmer dig into the material. Could I possibly be putting too much pressure on it? I enjoy turning but get upset when I run into problems. Just glad my temper isn't as bad as other family members šŸ¤£ on a side note I turned a pen for myself using Alumilite (last week) and that one cracked again! I know keep trying.
Something you might try instead of using a barrel trimmer and this is just temporarily until you could get a disc sander. I made a round wood block, screwed the faceplate of my lathe on, then added hook and loop and sanded to the tube.

Disc sander with a jig for sanding your barrels is the more permanent solution. I can't remember who but someone sells a jig for that.

Hippie3180

Also, for Alumilite, a negative rake scraper or a carbide works very well. Generally,Alumilite is not very brittle and is easy to work with. You could also use a skew ground to a negative rake.

Rob H

Sounds like you have "crud" in the brass tube.

Use a chainsaw file to clean it out before using the pen mill. Personally, I don't recommend pen mills, a sanding arrangement is much more likely to get a flat surface without damaging your blank.
I use a sanding jig on the lathe and when i put the blank on the transfer punch it won't go on if there is any glue in the tube so I know i need to get out the file, I might try one of those dental wax sheets to plug the tube one day but don't fancy having to clean the plug out.

egnald

I feel your pain (or maybe I should say, I remember your pain). I stopped destroying blanks with pen mills years ago. There are several tutorials on IAP for building various squaring jigs including one that functions similarly to what Rick Herrell makes. Just do a "Search Resources" from the Resources tab for "Squaring". - Dave

KMCloonan

I can vouch for Rick Herrell's sanding jig. It's very reasonably priced, and works perfectly. Once I started using it, I got rid of my barrel trimmer that I had used for years.

jttheclockman

Have to say I also stopped the barrel trimmer and gone to sanding on the lathe. I sand close on my disc sander and then transfer to lathe. But all is not lost when using a barrel trimmer. I use them also but use a 4 blade carbide cutter and that makes a world of difference. Just do not push so hard. Let the blades do the cutting. Less chance for grabbing with 4 blades.

Brian G

Tell me a little bit about your gluing process please. I not not seeing much evidence of epoxy residue on the tube. That might be something affecting your outcome. I'm not shy about using more epoxy than probably is necessary.

I use a barrel trimmer often for resin, but also a sanding jig. I believe most problems arise with a barrel trimmer for two reasons: dull cutters and too much pressure.

As JT stated, let the cutters cut, but the cutters need to be sharp. A diamond card is helpful for sharpening, and there is a tutorial in the IAP library that might be helpful. All you need to do though, is touch up the flats (leave the bevel alone).

I like using a barrel trimmer because it's quicker for me. Sanding works better for me on woods, especially burls and dense woods.

Woodchipper

I use a barrel trimmer but first run the reamer (?) through it first slowly. Turning the drill press manually to get the glue out. Then I trim very, very slowly. I built a sanding disk for the lathe but it takes too much time unless I'm doing several blanks at one shot.

gr8macbeth

If you are going to use a barrel trimmer, it really helps to keep the inside of the tube clean. A file works as mentioned before. I have found a cheap container of playdoh is an easy way to keep them clean. I roll a little out and plug both ends of the tube. It does great at keeping the glue out of the inside of the tube. It also helps push the epoxy through the blank as you insert the tube instead of the epoxy running through the tube.

bsshog40

I've always used a barrel trimmer on my pen blanks. I slowly work the barrel into the brass tube slowly to cut out any extra glue. Then slowly barrel trim just enough to see the brass shine on the end. I use my drill press for this also but I hold the blank in hand. Never had a problem doing it this way. My wife tells me I have vice grip hands. Lol

jrista

Ran into this when I first started. Switched to a disc sander not long after, and have not had problems since.

Jans husband

I use a sanding jig on the lathe and when i put the blank on the transfer punch it won't go on if there is any glue in the tube so I know i need to get out the file, I might try one of those dental wax sheets to plug the tube one day but don't fancy having to clean the plug out.
Use a slice of potato instead
No point getting the kids angry!
Mike

KenB259

When I first started I used a barrel trimmer in a drill press and found out pretty quickly why that's a bad idea. The drill press is going to come straight down and if your drilled and glued in tube is not perfectly straight then that pilot shaft on the trimmer is going to bind and either break the glue lose or deform the tube. If your adamant about using a pen mill, you're better off using a hand drill. My recommendation though is to sand them flush, using a setup that sands perpendicular to the tube.

Woodchipper

Here is what I use to trim on the drill press. I can lower the chuck and trimmer to get the correct position. Also, I have some precision angles that will line up the blank with the bed of the vise. Hope I can find a photo of my setup. Can't find it as when I changed laptops, I lost many things or they got shuffled to other places. :mad:

howsitwork

I clean tubes out using a reamer to ensure no glue inside . I found dental,probes really good for removing epoxy . As said above barrel trimmer must be sharp , blank clamped steady in vice and gentle feed to CUT the end clean not scrape it.

Ive tried sanding as well but have a large selection of barrel trimmers / counterbores which work well

Bope

I have only used a pen mill. I first tried a hand drill, what a PIA. Then the light bulb went off in my head and I moved to the drill press. I use an F-clamp for a handle, no need to risk the fingers. Don't use a vise, tube may not be aligned the same way you drilled it. I blew out a couple blanks before getting a feel on how much pressure to use. The shaft of the pen mill is supposed to ream out the tube. I have not had much luck with that. I use a quick turn with of a tapered reamer to check for any glue in the tube. I do use some playdough when using epoxy but I still use the reamer. Any glue can be very hard to see in the tube. The reamer makes it a lot easier to see.

howsitwork

I have only used a pen mill. I first tried a hand drill, what a PIA. Then the light bulb went off in my head and I moved to the drill press. I use an F-clamp for a handle, no need to risk the fingers. Don't use a vise, tube may not be aligned the same way you drilled it. I blew out a couple blanks before getting a feel on how much pressure to use. The shaft of the pen mill is supposed to ream out the tube. I have not had much luck with that. I use a quick turn with of a tapered reamer to check for any glue in the tube. I do use some playdough when using epoxy but I still use the reamer. Any glue can be very hard to see in the tube. The reamer makes it a lot easier to see.
One of the flexible torches , like a miniature endoscope tube , allows you to insert it in the tube and glue stands out a mile when you look in! Car accessory shops sell em fairly cheap

cmiller

Hi, I've had this happen a couple times. As others have mentioned, if the barrel trimmer bit doesn't go exactly straight through the tube, it can get sort of stuck in there. Then you'll generate a whole lot of friction heat, which seems to loosen up the tube.

MTViper

One thing to look at is to check to see if there is any glue buildup on the reamer on the pen mill. If heated glue builds up on the reamer, It's going to heat up when the reamer is inside the tube and get sticky enough to twist the tube out of the blank. If there's glue buildup on the reamer, carefully use some 100-180 grit sandpaper and clean it off. Easiest way is to look the sandpaper around the bit and turn on the drill slowly. Watch for the rotating cutters, though, they will bite. When the reamer is squeaky clean, it should not twist the tub out ... until the next time it builds up.

randyrls

Contact Rick Harrell about his sanding jig.
You'll see it several items down on the page.

Monty; I agree! I don't use a pen mill any more. Attach a piece of 3/4" baltic plywood to a face plate. Turn round, then attach pressure stick sandpaper 80 grit to 150 grit. A heat gun will let you replace the sandpaper.

PS. Don't try to cut the sandpaper with your turning tools. It doesn't work! DAMHIKT! :(

Top Bottom