Very Basic 3D Printing and CAD Books Recommendation Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
IN order to use this new forum effectively, "I" need to learn some new things that are not "intuitive" to me.
Therefore, I am looking for 2 or 3 books on 1) "Beginners CAD" (VERY Basics-Beginners) and, 2) 3D Printing (Very Basics-Beginners).

I got started with graphics in Photoshop when it was version 2.? and grew with it until a 3 or 4 years ago. I still do some Photoshop graphics and terms are no problems to me. However, DRAWING software with its terminology and use - befuddled me tremendously through the years. Graphics software was alway intuitive; But CAD/Drawing has not intuitive - to me.

Can you recommend a book or 2 on:
1) Getting Started with CAD (Very Basic/beginning and the terminology meanings)
2) Getting Started with 3D Printing (Very Basic and the terminology meanings)

I am primarily a Mac user but have a Windows 10 PC at work. I have used Windows on my Mac through Parallels (which was faster on my Mac than on my PC at work.) I am not looking to start off with AutoCAD complexities or prices.

I need 2 or 3 of BOOKS on the absolute basics - one or two of each (3D Printing & CAD). THANKS!

(I am 74 but still young enough to try something new).

Cullen, see what you did with your photos and work!
1f92a.png
1f60a.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aldjmc

IN order to use this new forum effectively, "I" need to learn some new things that are not "intuitive" to me.
Therefore, I am looking for 2 or 3 books on 1) "Beginners CAD" (VERY Basics-Beginners) and, 2) 3D Printing (Very Basics-Beginners).

I got started with graphics in Photoshop when it was version 2.? and grew with it until a 3 or 4 years ago. I still do some Photoshop graphics and terms are no problems to me. However, DRAWING software with its terminology and use - befuddled me tremendously through the years. Graphics software was alway intuitive; But CAD/Drawing has not intuitive - to me.

Can you recommend a book or 2 on:
1) Getting Started with CAD (Very Basic/beginning and the terminology meanings)
2) Getting Started with 3D Printing (Very Basic and the terminology meanings)

I am primarily a Mac user but have a Windows 10 PC at work. I have used Windows on my Mac through Parallels (which was faster on my Mac than on my PC at work.) I am not looking to start off with AutoCAD complexities or prices.

I need 2 or 3 of BOOKS on the absolute basics - one or two of each (3D Printing & CAD). THANKS!

(I am 74 but still young enough to try something new).

Cullen, see what you did with your photos and work! View attachment 323307View attachment 323308
I'm not sure about books, but there are tons of resources on the internet. I teach a short introductory course on 3D Printing and Design and I rely on https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/wiki/gettingstarted for good information. For 3D design, I learned everything I know from the lessons and tutorials at www.tinkercad.com. Also, for just looking at 3D models created by others, www.thingiverse.com is the real deal. I've downloaded more than a few files to print out that have been very useful (and in some cases essential) for my adventures in turning pens!

The learning curve is a steep one, but once you get it, it really isn't that difficult. Good luck!

pewink

Banned
It's going to depend on your intended use for CAD. Software companies tend to name the various tools different names, and that alone could cause confusion. AutoCad is basic and the (mostly) industry standard. I believe Adobe has gone to all sub, and it isn't inexpensive.

Are you planning to do CAM as well? Reading a book, without implementing the information, will further confuse a person. So having the intended software, will enable you to see what the effects of each operation while following along.
Learning the basics of Cad isn't that difficult, it's when drawing ISO or 3D it can become testing.

If you just want to familiarize yourself with vectors, and you're already familiar with Adobe PS, you could try AI (Illustrator). It isn't a CAD program, but it utilizes vectors in a simpler format. Older versions can be purchased, so subbing wouldn't be required.

There are several programs available free, or at low cost. However, be prepared for little to no support, little in tutorials, and as mentioned above, tools by different names.
Knowing your intended use would help guide you to a better decision.

wayner123

I was going to suggest along the same lines as the posts above. YouTube is a great help in learning vector drawing. Inkscape is a free program and there are a ton of tutorials on YouTube for it. Logos by Nick is one of the best tutorials imo.

As for CAD, AutoCAD is the industry standard. However, it is pricey, and the books only teach you what you can get direct from Autodesk for free. It's really not the best for 3d printing.

A better and free program for 3d printing is fusion 360 (made by autodesk). And again there are a ton of tutorials on youtube.

WarEagle90

Hank, I can't help you with your specific request for books but as mentioned above, the internet is your friend. As Kevin mentioned, a little more information about what you ultimately are trying to accomplish would help. In general, CAD is used more for 2D design for the the production of construction drawings, plans, etc. Yes, AutoCAD has 3D functionality as do many of the other CAD programs. If you are simply wanting to develop 3D objects for 3D printing similar to what Cullen has posted here, I would look to something like TinkerCAD. I don't use it but knw many who do and love it. I use Fusion 360 by AutoDesk (AutoCAD parent company). Fusion can be used by hobbyist for free. The free version does have some limitations but I don't think they limit what we can do as craftsmen. There is a pretty steep learning curve with Fusion especially for someone who may not have any experience with the design process but I think that will be the case for any design software just to varying degrees. Fusion has a large following on u-tube so there are many, many tutorials videos out there. If you decide to go that route, let me know I can point you to some of the better tutorials for beginners and am always willing to help and answer any questions you may have.

I would give similar advice on the 3D printing. Look to u-tube. There are a lot of beginner videos for getting started with 3D printing. If I were starting over with no knowledge of either subject, I would start with the 3D printing. Watch videos and decide if I really wanted to jump in. You can download print files from places like Thingiverse as mentioned earlier and not have to worry with the design until you get comfortable with the printing side. One step at a time so to speak. Once that decision is made, you will need to decide on a printer. I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole today, but I will give you one piece of advice: Don't buy a cheap printer just to save a few bucks. There are many out there that are great printers and you don't have to spend thousands of dollars. But a lot of the cheap printers require a lot of tweaking and upgrades to print reliably and when getting started that frustration is the last thing you need. Again, if you decide to get one, let me know I and I will be glad to give you some suggestions.

Just a note on my background. I have been a practicing civil engineer for over 30 years and have worked with various CAD programs over that time. I got into 3D printing about 6 years ago. I have both a resin and filament printer and they are rarely ever idle. I'm glad to help you anyway I can. Just let me know.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I didn't know enough to specify. Sorry about that.

What I intend to do -

1. I would like to do some 3-D printing. But from some of my own designs if I can learn how to do that, or maybe some existing files of others with modification on size of length or depth. I don't know the types of files, the names or what they mean or what app is needed to open them and print them
I would like to design some items for 3D printing - somewhat like Cullen does. His corner cutter for blanks looked quite simple to make on a table saw, (and I have before), but I have no clue as to how to design it on a computer and then PRINT it out, as simple as it looks.

AS to printing, I have gathered enough information from observation that it is quite different than printing with ink. What do I need to know? What terminology do I need to know? What does the terminology mean?

2. I would love to buy a CNC machine for carving or cutting, but I know nothing about that aspect and the technical jargon or computer operation for controlling it. I know that it takes some kind of CAD? files to make it happen. A basic knowledge of 3 dimension as it applies to CAD and the terminology and its meaning would be helpful. I know from looking on woodworking retail sites like Rockler that CNCs are becoming common. That takes a knowledge of some kind of 3D files and some kind of CAD usage.

Laser Cutting would be strictly 2D as if using a scroll saw, but router/3D is different. Still I need to know the terminology and its meaning.

Thanks for all of your questions to me and your help.

Angus: Thanks for the links, I will be studying those over the Christmas holidays.

I will also look on YouTube. The problem that I have had is that I manage to click on ones that seems to assume that I know some of the basic terminology.

Vectors has been mentioned several times. I probably need to start with that. Graphics was sooooo much easier. I have used vectors a few different times in fonts, But it was about as different to me from graphics as English is to Japanese.

Last edited:

pewink

Banned
Running a cnc router, doesn't require 3D knowledge. Most people use them strictly as a 2D-2.5D tool, as getting into 3D has a really steep learning curve to create relief files, and the time it takes to cut them is usually pretty long. Any cnc requires CAD/CAM, and the toolpaths are created from vectors, as those are lines and curves, not pixels (raster).

If you're wanting to do 3D printing, that's different than a mill/router. That will require software capable of creating full 3D (i.e. stl, obj are universal formats). I don't 3D print, so I'm not completely familiar with it, but it seems WarEagle has the experience to help you with it.

Before investing in any equipment, I would suggest downloading some version of software to familiarize yourself with what's required to create a file. Fusion360 is used by many people, and as stated in other posts, is free to the hobbyist. There is also Blender, and ZBrush has a free version as well.
People often buy equipment, under the assumption that cnc is simple, and get discouraged when they find that a lot of work goes into creating even a simple 2D file. Then they sell their machine at a big loss.

Here is an example of a 2D file. There were a few hours invested in creating the file and toolpathing, then the time to set-up the machine and actually cut it.

aIf0GG8.jpg

This is a 3D file. These take more time overall.

M9HO9SJ.jpg

WarEagle90

Hank, based on your Givens and Druthers, I would suggest start with the software. No need to invest in a printer if you decide the 3D modeling is not for you. But I'm sure with your experience with Photoshop and other similar applications you will be OK. There will be a steep learning curve, but keep the early designs simple. Don't start out trying to replicate what Cullen has presented, you'll get frustrated and throw your hands up. Crawl before you walk so to speak. Although I don't have a lot of experience with it, TinkerCAD may be the best place to start. It will give you the ability to make simple designs and is geared towards the beginner. If you see you're liking the design process and learning the basic concepts you can always graduate to Fusion. The biggest lesson I can give you in 3D design is just remember in most instances you start with a 2D drawing or object, say a circle, and you simply push/pull/extrude it into a cylinder and go from there. Its not a hard concept to grasp if you don't try to design the entire thing in your head at once. Look up Lars Christensen on u-tube. He works for Autodesk and has put out a lot of beginner videos and he is a great teacher.

This would be my first stop:

Again this would be just to get and idea of what is involved I think there are 2 or 3 parts to this video. I'm sure there are similar tutorials for TinkerCAD, I'm just not familiar with those. I'll do a little digging tonight and if I find a good one, I'll send it your way.

As far as CNC and a laser, I would master the 3D printing first because it will give you a good foundation of concepts that will be similar with a CNC. The difference between the 2 is CNC removes material to create the part and 3D printing adds material. Not quite that simple, but you get the concept. I'll follow up with you tomorrow.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Kevin, I vaguely knew some of the info you mentioned, so I am able to follow you. I agree, I probably should start with some software. I also know (or at least I "think") that if I familiarize myself with 3D printing, there are some places with 3D files already made, ready to be downloaded and printed, or changed and printed. But first, learn the software.

Dan, thanks for your input too. I will study and do some YouTubes on learning 3D printing first. If I can master Japanese reading, writing and speaking beginning at age 40, surely I can learn 3D printing at 75! (I'm shooting for the moon.) Through the years, I enjoyed graphics and did occasionally used vector in some layouts, so that is not "totally" foreign to me. I will consider this another language that I don't yet know! I do know how to throw in the towel and then retrieve it a few days later when the concept finally hits home.

I will check out TinkerCAD and look at some YouTubes over the holidays.

THANKS guys. I didn't know where to start or what to start with, but it looks good with you guys coaching.

pewink

Banned
Kevin, I vaguely knew some of the info you mentioned, so I am able to follow you. I agree, I probably should start with some software. I also know (or at least I "think") that if I familiarize myself with 3D printing, there are some places with 3D files already made, ready to be downloaded and printed, or changed and printed. But first, learn the software.

Dan, thanks for your input too. I will study and do some YouTubes on learning 3D printing first. If I can master Japanese reading, writing and speaking beginning at age 40, surely I can learn 3D printing at 75! (I'm shooting for the moon.) Through the years, I enjoyed graphics and did occasionally used vector in some layouts, so that is not "totally" foreign to me. I will consider this another language that I don't yet know! I do know how to throw in the towel and then retrieve it a few days later when the concept finally hits home.

I will check out TinkerCAD and look at some YouTubes over the holidays.

THANKS guys. I didn't know where to start or what to start with, but it looks good with you guys coaching.
You are correct that there are files available for download. Some are free, and others come at a cost. The free files and low cost files, are usually low poly, and don't have great resolution. With the correct software, those can be modified, to an extent, to get better resolution.
On the positive, the stl, obj, and other files used for printing, can also be used on a mill/router, and can be rotated in any direction, to cut from any angle, provided it's a closed mesh.

I agree, if you can learn Japanese, at any age, you certainly can learn CAD/CAM, and 3D printing.

Interestingly, I was just watching some video's on houses that are 3D printed. They print them from concrete.

I wish you luck on your new venture, and I look forward to your projects.

rherrell

I agree with Dan, learn Fusion 360, it's free and does everything you need. He also gave you a great recommendation for a YT teacher, Lars is a great teacher, that's who I learned from.

Top Bottom