Vendor Sponsored BASH Activities

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Here is the latest incarnation of the Vendor Sponsored Contest Rules. Unless someone calls a glaring error to my intention I intend to post these publicly tomorrow. Thanks for all your help and suggestions on this.

Attachments

• ATTENTION IAP VENDORS_v4.doc
    31 KB · Views: 97
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You have "Tier one" as 4 places for a total of $400.00, you have The Russ Fairfield as a "Tier one" comp with $325.00 Thats a conflict with no explanation for the general membership. If you have decided to only have 3 winners in The Russ Fairfield competition should you make a note of that on your list?

mbroberg

Mike,

I checked last years contests and used the same number of winning places in the contests this year. I will put an explanation in there before posting.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forum Runner

mbroberg

I just let this cat out of the bag. I really hope it goes over well!

From now on please refer to the Wood Identification Contest as:

The 2013 Classic Nib Wood Identification Contest.

Refer to the Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest as:

The 2013 Exotic Blanks Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest.

This is very important for two reasons. 1st, because we are promising to do that for the sponsoring vendor. 2nd, other vendors will see it and hopefully want to see their names displayed prominently and often as well.

Thanks

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If you're going to list all the opportunities and prices, you should also list hte sponsoring values for the two contests that are already spoken for...

That way, vendors know the cost and can then choose which ones they may want next year - otherwise, someone considering the wood ID contest or advanced pen will not know the cost of sponsorship.

mbroberg

Might bump if need be. Posted a 2nd thread in the CC forum which contains a link to the 1st thread.

mbroberg

From now on please refer to the Beginner Beautiful Pen Contest as the:

"The 2013 Smitty's Pen Works Beginner Beautiful Pen Contest."

Thanks.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I got lost following this and waiting for it to "shake out". If anything is set in stone concerning my contest could I have a PM with EXACTLY what I am to title stuff. :confused:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you're going to list all the opportunities and prices, you should also list hte sponsoring values for the two contests that are already spoken for...

That way, vendors know the cost and can then choose which ones they may want next year - otherwise, someone considering the wood ID contest or advanced pen will not know the cost of sponsorship.

Hey Andrew!!

YOU are the prize collection master!!!! So, I hope to phrase this in such a way as to show I realize that and am NOT trying to debate:

I usually look at advertising on IAP similarly to advertising in Yellow Pages or radio or TV or "dead tree" newsprint, i.e. rates can be had by asking but are not, generally published.

If any potential advertiser wants to know the cost, they can ask you or Mike Broberg. I am not sure (and that means "not sure", not dodging) if it is a good idea to tell the whole forum.

Certainly, if you (or another designated representative of the IAP) wants to promote using this type of advertising, a "rate sheet" could be created and distributed to all "likely advertisers".

Waddayathink?

mbroberg

Ed, Are you saying that, in your opinion, none of the rates should be made public? I would think that if we are trying to sell something (advertising) we should let the potential market know what it costs. I've already published the sponsor amounts for all the contests this year except for the ones that you and Classic Nib are sponsoring. Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves because this bash hasn't even started yet but I always have an eye out for what to do next year.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
A thought no one has mentioned(I don't think). What if down the road a "sponsor" decides they do not like a particular way the contest is being run. As a paying "sponsor" will they be allowed to "influence" the rules? If not I would suggest some sort of "contract" be set up outlining the responsibilities and who has them over what.

I have nothing specific in mind, just a thought I had.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Re reading the vendors thread, and re reading the attachment, the tier levels are listed for each contest as well as the cost for each tier. It wouldnt take a genius to figure out the minimum that was needed to sponsor those contests.

mbroberg

A thought no one has mentioned(I don't think). What if down the road a "sponsor" decides they do not like a particular way the contest is being run. As a paying "sponsor" will they be allowed to "influence" the rules? If not I would suggest some sort of "contract" be set up outlining the responsibilities and who has them over what.

Landon,

It is stated in the announcement that sponsors will not have any involvement in the administration of the contest the selection of judges or winners. They may be asked to explain a new contest they are proposing, but that is about it.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Landon,

It is stated in the announcement that sponsors will not have any involvement in the administration of the contest the selection of judges or winners. They may be asked to explain a new contest they are proposing, but that is about it.

As a NON-VENDOR I did not read that announcement closely, thanks. :)

mbroberg

Mike, is there a limit to the number of sponsored contests per vendor? I would assume yes...but I didn't see it mentioned.

....Unless I missed it! (Very possible!)

No, not because i don't think there should be but because I just didn't think to address it. I would like to keep it at one per vendor. What do you (all of you) think?

...I would like to keep it at one vendor per contest for the time being....

I would limit it to a max of 3 compititons by a vendor not one and they must be in different competition areas. Casting, pen making, etc....

Roy has contacted me asking if he can sponsor another contest. I had said that I would like to limit to one contest per vendor. Mike R has suggested a maximum of 3. Any other opinions? The response thus far has been about what we expected. I think sponsorship is a good idea (obviously) but hesitate to allow any one vendor to have their name dominating the whole party. Is one enough? Is three reasonable? If we allow one vendor to sponsor more than one contest when should e open the 2nd sponsorships up, 2 weeks from the beginning of the BASH?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Because this is the first year and response time is so short It would behoove you to allow it. If you havent addressed it publicly then the other vendors have equal access to sponser a 2nd competition. I am considering sponsoring one but havent decided if sponsoring a contest or donating directly to the bash prize pool is better. Im leaning toward entering a pen or two and would not want to sponser those contests and enter them. It may be easier to donate the equivelant in prizes to the bash.

And with more time to arrange sponsers next year it may not be as big an issue.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
He offered to donate trinkets before he knew that the sponsorship and naming rights of any contest was an option. I'd suggest letting him choose to sponsor whichever contest he likes, in addition to the prizes already pleged for the wood ID contest - but not let him have his name on two contests - i.e. naming rights and prizes on the contest he chooses and prizes only for wood ID, if he so chooses.

Edit: but in general, and going forward, I think limiting sponsorship to one contest is a good thing.

Andrew

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Not having his name on a sponsored contest nullifies the reason for sponsoring it. This is paid advertising for his company. You do not have a run on the contests by vendors trying to take over the bash. And if given the choice since he did not have that choice before hand he would probably rather have funded a different contest. In future bash events now that it is known that a sponsership will be available they should be claimed earlier and more of them. For this bash limiting sponsership to one recognized event is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

mbroberg

I'm not sure I follow you Andrew. Are you saying that he should be allowed to donate prizes to another contest but not have his name put on the other contest? Why would he want to "sponsor" another contest if he could not have his name on the contest? Since anyone can donate prizes, if he can't have his name on more than one contest what incentive is there to "sponsor" more than one contest?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would agree with everyone!!! (How's that for "fence-sitting"??)

Ideally, only one contest per sponsor-vendor. HOWEVER, this year consider allowing more, since the time is near. BUT, let's wait a couple weeks to see if any other sponsors come forward. If we allow Roy or Exotics or Smitty to expand, they are likely to take the "most desirable" contest that is left---thus making it impossible for another, new vendor to get the contest.

By the 24th of Jan (or so), open the contests that remain to those who already have one. (Max three does sound good)

Just one opinion,
Ed

PR_Princess

Mike, it has been a little more than 48 hours since you made the announcement about contests being opened up to vendor sponsorship. That's not a lot of time for other vendors to see your announcement nor for them to make a decision.

Before awarding any second, third etc sponsorships to any existing sponsor I would give it some time. If you dont hear anything by say the 26 or 27th, then by all means open it up. Otherwise you could potentially be shutting out other sponsors

Edit in : Ugh Ed types faster than I do..Especially when I am on the phone!:mad:

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I was saying that we should let him choose which contest he wants to sponsor, and let him put his name on that - but also allow him to use his donation of the IAP merchandise for another contest as well...i.e. One sponsorship for a contest of his choosing, and as many donations to other contests as he'd like without any naming rights.

The cheap prizes he's already pledged could still be used for the Wood ID contest, but not his business name - thus, letting him choose to essentially 'fund' a second contest, but only getting his name on one.

This was essentially because he chose to donate the multitude of little prizes before he knew that sponsorship of a big contest was possible, and before the public announcement of sponsorship prices and opportunities by Mike.

Last edited:

mbroberg

Form now on, for the duration of the BASH, please refer to these contests as:

The 2013 Berea Hardwoods Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest.

The 2013 R & B Crafts Freestyle Pen Contest.

Top Bottom