Valueable Lesson Learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

Tonight I learned a valueable lesson - never do what your kids ask you to do, cuz somebody will get hurt.

My 18 year old son came into the shop just as I was starting to putter around, and asked if I could drill a hole in part of the plastic from his dashboard. No problem. Chuck up the drill bit, lay a piece of wood on the DP table, put the plastic on top of wood, and drill.

All was going well, until the drill started to exit. I THOUGHT I HAD A TIGHT GRIP ON IT. Boy was I wrong. When the peice started flying laps around the table my son almost soiled himself.:D

After I shut the DP off I looked at my son. I wish I had a camera. His eyes were as big as dinner plates. Anyway, as I was reaching for the plastic, to unwind it, I saw the blood starting to drip.

I ended up with 7 scrapes/cuts. Nothing serious, THIS TIME.

MORAL OF THIS STORY...well, for me it's tell the kid to leave his truck as it is, oh yeah, clamp your work down (as my wife mentioned, rather loudly).[B)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

I could never do anything that dumb. You really need to think...

(This coming from a guy who CA glued his lips shut when he was a kid...DOH)

[:D]

Glad to hear your OK.

Fangar

Czarcastic

Its ironic when you read these "lesson learned" stories that they all have one common theme:
"I was in a hurry... I was just doing one piece... I didn't think I needed a clamp.... I got distracted for a second...etc."
Its always the one time we don't follow our own common-sense safety precautions that we end up getting hurt.

Glad you're OK, and thanks for reminding us that we have to be diligent <b>every</b> time we turn on our tools!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Czarcastic
<br />Its ironic when you read these "lesson learned" stories that they all have one common theme:
"I was in a hurry... I was just doing one piece... I didn't think I needed a clamp.... I got distracted for a second...etc."
Its always the one time we don't follow our own common-sense safety precautions that we end up getting hurt.

Glad you're OK, and thanks for reminding us that we have to be diligent <b>every</b> time we turn on our tools!

My son is an emergency room physician. And those are exactly the kinds of explanations (excuses [:0] ) he hears from guys who have just sawed off a few of their fingers, or whatever. Pay attention. Clamp it. If you think your fingers might be too close, they are.

alamocdc

Safety, safety, safety. I'm about my power tools the way I am my Harley. The day I throw my leg over it and it doesn't scare me is the day I put a "For Sale" sign on it. Same with my woodworking tools! When the hairs on the back of my neck don't stand up when I throw the power switch... [;)]

woodwish

My neighbor is the EMT director for the county, and he says the last thing most of the locals claim they say just before they call 911 is "Hey Bubba, watch this!" Just a little redneck humor [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom