vacuum dye old wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tecumseh 82

I have alot of 60+ year old curly maple and am curious if I use my commercial vacuum pump that I use for a veneer bag and some type of vessel, can I dye blanks all the way through.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

The type of maple and the size you want are the biggest factors.
You will have to experiment some to see. It may need to go under vacuum and then pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pensmyth

I learned a lot by experimenting when I first started dyeing and stabilizing wood. You might want to cut a test piece and let it soak in the dye for a few days and allow the capillary action to work its magic then place it under vacuum then soak again. After curing cut into it and see what your penetration looks like.

Gary Beasley

Dye can be added to Cactus juice as part of the stabilizing process for good results. Use only dyes recommended for the juice, pigments added may not penetrate the pores.

Tecumseh 82

Thanks to all, it gives me alot to experiment with. If I can achieve up to 5/8 blank, that would be great. If I can only get penetration enough for banding material, I will consider it good. I will let you know.

PatrickR

So is it hard maple or soft? I think it will be hard to get even that penetration with "rock" maple.
Also what type of stain? I have tried water based under vacuum and it didn't do well. It foamed like crazy, polluted the pump oil and I did not get the penetration I wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tecumseh 82

I understand the dimension question Monty. I should have specified a 5/8 blank and not a,say, stopper blank. Again, if I can make some 1/4" banding or such, that is fine. I have manifold gauges to draw a 20 - 30 inch vacuum and hold it if I can make a airtight vessel to answer you Patrick.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You should be fine with that size blank if your set up will get you close to the maximum theoretical vacuum for your area. You can calculate what that is using this calculator.
The closer to max vacuum the better the penetration will be.

Top Bottom