Vacuum Chamber question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have a vacuum pot with a clear plastic lid - the lid has a red rubber cover around the edges so it seals when you turn on the vacuum. Apparently, over time Cactus juice has sprayed on the lid on the inside and dried and I cannot see through the lid -any ideas on what I can use to clean it? I have used DNA and acetone with no luck.
Thanks for your help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul-H

What's the lid made of, glass or plastic/acrylic

If glass you could probably just scrape it off, if plastic or acrylic, sanding and polishing may be the only way to go, but if you have already tried acetone it may be damaged beyond repair.

Are you sure it's cactus juice, I thought that never set without heat ?

egnald

Although many, many people are successful with them, plastic lids, even good ones on vacuum chambers still scare me to death. All plastics are not the same!

My first vacuum chamber was a stainless steel pot with a Plexiglass (acrylic) lid. There was a hole drilled through it for the plumbing to go through (supply/exhaust, gauge, etc.). On about the second use the lid imploded. In addition to making an awful "Bang!", It knocked my pump off the table and sprayed Cactus Juice around in the shop.

For version 2.0, I replaced it with a plastic Lexan (polycarbonate) lid. It was still plastic and it still had a hole drilled through it for plumbing, but Lexan it is much tougher and a lot less brittle so it can bend more without cracking. I re-used the red silicone gasket. After a few uses though it looked like the inside surface was getting some kind of little surface imperfections, surface cracks or crazing or something. That was enough to make me opt for lid version 3.0.

For version 3.0, I bought a tempered glass lid and drilled the plumbing hole near the top of the stainless steel pot. I still used the same silicone gasket.

After the whole experience, I'm still nervous when I use the thing, but at least I can be in the same room with it when it is running. I also wasted a lot of time and effort buying a thick sheet of Lexan and cutting it to size for 2.0. I wish I would have saved myself the money and grief and just bought the round tempered glass to start with. This is why I highly recommend replacing it with a glass lid.

Regards,
Dave

Original - Imploded Plexiglass Lid
Stabilizing Test Implosion.png

Version 3.0 Glass Lid with plumbing mounted through the pot.
IMG_1272 Back in Business 3-Aug-2020.jpg

Mortalis

I agree with egnald. I've had my vacuum chamber for over three years and I purchased it because it came with a glass lid. I've heard too many horror stories of the 'plastic' lids imploding and even saw a video of one where the user was injured. If your 'plastic' lid has discoloration I would agree that it needs to be replaced.

keithbyrd

Thank you all for your comments.
I think I have the same pot a Dave - have used nothing in it but CJ.
Dave where did you get your glass lid?

egnald

Thank you all for your comments.
I think I have the same pot a Dave - have used nothing in it but CJ.
Dave where did you get your glass lid?
I am looking back through my emails for it. They reminded me that the implosion also messed up my vacuum gauge as I found where I bought a new one of those too. More to follow....

wimkluck

I am still using the plastic lid. I know there are small surface cracks. I looked here for a glass lid special made. Price more then 250 euro's.
That is to much. I was tipped that vacuumchambers.eu can supply them for a much better price. So the next order will include a glass lid.

Mortalis

I am still using the plastic lid. I know there are small surface cracks. I looked here for a glass lid special made. Price more then 250 euro's.
That is to much. I was tipped that vacuumchambers.eu can supply them for a much better price. So the next order will include a glass lid.
If your 'plastic' lid is showing signs of cracks then I would not use it anymore. Wait to get a new lid beit plastic or glass.

Top Bottom