using wool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

A while back, in another thread I mentioned experimenting with wool for polishing while finishing. I had had problems with finishing rings. In an attempt to eliminate those I tried a couple things. One was fine sanding with the grain while the lathe was off. Then I tried lambs wool with no discernible benefits. Then I tried a scrap off of a wool blanket. This showed promise. Now, I have used that blanket scrap quite a few times and it has become a regular part of my finishing process. I sand a slow speed with Klingspore Gold 220, then 320.Stop lathe, sand with grain at 320. Start again, sand at 320, then white non-woven, about 800 grit stuff. Then apply Myland's sanding sealer, then Myland's friction finish. Then stop lathe, rub with grain using wool blanket. Start again slow, apply Myland's melamine. Stop rub again using wool blanket. Start slow, polish with wool blanket. Apply Johnson's paste wax with soft paper towel. Polish with paper towel. Then polish with wool blanket at slow speed. Takes much longer to describe than talk or write about. Wool blanket scrap will now be part of my finishing arsenel.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have just started using worn out Merino wool socks for buffing.
At $3.50 a pair and lasting only 2 years I figured I had better get more use out of them![:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />I have just started using worn out Merino wool socks for buffing.
At $3.50 a pair and lasting only 2 years I figured I had better get more use out of them![:D]

Just have to love a fellow cheapskate. [:)] Uh, I mean, environmentally conscious and thrifty recycler. [:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom