Using UV Resin as a pen finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul-H

Hi all

Being new to pen turning I have been trying to settle on a method of finish, I am ok with the acrylic pens and get a nice glass like glossy finish without any issues, it the wood pens I am not yet happy with, I have tried some of the Common finishes all with varying degrees of satisfaction, I have sofar tried Friction polish, Melamine polish, CA and canubia wax.

Of those I prefer the finish I get with CA but still looking for other options before I settle on one to try and perfect.

So to the point of this post, has anyone tried using UV setting resin as a finish, what are your thoughts, any good or rubbish.

Thanks for any input with this.

Paul

TonyL

I have with various brands and lighting systems. I have been not been successful. Others have enjoyed success which I have not been able to emulate. Much success!

JohnU

I gave it a try but found it hard to get a consistent layer without sacs or running, and there were always small air bubbles in the finish. After trying to usr it for other pen making tasks like gluing objects to tubes and dealers, I have it all away, because my previous processes were more successful with less work.

Top Bottom